top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Do games make you cry?

ravyn
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I would love to play a game that would make me cry.
I like things that have depth and emotion and meaning,
and if there is a game I could play that has that, please inform me.
I don't normally cry even with movies so trying to find something emotional with a game would be really interesting! Wink
IoRez
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
I creid like a baby when Vivi Ornitier, the Black Mage, died near the end of FFIX.
Hubalaboo
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
@Ravyn: Try Aquaria? It didn't make me cry, but it was very deep and emotional for me, and an amazing, lovely game anyway.
Terabetha
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever actually cried over a video game, at least not actual tears. I've felt sad, granted, but never actual broke down cry.

I don't think 'games' as per 'playing for enjoyment' games should because...well crying isn't that enjoyable lol but I think mold-breaking games with an emotional base should aim for that, be it crying for joy or out of sorrow.
Emriss
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
I throw the title of this game all over the place on this forum, and will continue to do so:

Rule of Rose. When I first finished it, the ending seriously made me sob for about half an hour afterwards. And here's the scary thing: I didn't even understand what had happened. The plot of Rule of Rose is intentionally twisted and convoluted; things only make sense in a state of suspended disbelief until you finish the game, and even then, I think it takes at least one more playthrough for things to really make sense.

EDIT: Don't any of you DARE go look up just the ending. It won't have the same impact without the rest of the game, and it won't have the same impact after the game if you see it coming. At least take the time to watch a full playthrough.

When I got around to that second playthrough, it really hit me. But not necessarily in a way that made me tear up. I was...disgusted. This really is a horror game. Not because of gore and rust (although there is a satisfying shower of blood when you kill an enemy), but because of the beautifully told story. A story that's so terrible (in a good way) that it's been banned in some countries. Let me give you an example that I think highlights my points (don't worry, it's only minorly spoilerific):

The game takes place (sort of; play and you'll see what I mean) in an orphanage. One of the adult authorities there is a teacher named Mr. Hoffman. It goes lengths to convince you in one of the levels that he's molested at least one of the children (but while it's heavily implied, there's one scene that suggests it might not be true...or that it is...you can never be sure with this game). There's also some faint evidence that suggests he performed an abortion on that girl, because he got her pregnant. The game steers you to the point where you hate him, looking at him as a cruel, filthy pedophile. But in the very last chapter, you have a chance to read some entries from his diary. There's one where he talks about Clara, the girl he molested...but not in a perverted way. In fact, he sounds paternal. Excerpt: "My little Clara, bless her heart, is almost 16."

I broke down. There was so much darkness and evil and pain between those two characters, but here in the end...to me, the writing on that page seemed to radiate care and wholesome love. It was so confusing, and that beauty ran in such stark contrast to what you were shown previously that the emotions in that page seemed all the more beautiful.

And that, people, is only a sub-plot. Rule of Rose is old and glitchy as hell...but I can safely say it's my favorite game ever.
Whitellama
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 23 Mar 2009 Posts: 129 Location: In the forest grove.
cyberdigitus wrote:
Zelda, ocarina of time did. when sarah gives the ocarina to link on the bridge.

very emotive grahics, animation. amazing feel to experience that in a game.

I didn't find very much emotion in that part. That's probably because I did that part when I was little and most likely skipped the text. Wink

I'm a big gamer so the only games that make me cry are the REALLY FRUSTRATING ones that I just buy, I can't wait to play, and they don't work.
Cernunnos
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jul 2009 Posts: 36 Location: In the highest branches of the tallest tree in an endless forest
I cried like a baby at the end of kingdom hearts 1. It was just SO sad Sad
I really want to say the exact part that did it for me, but that would be spoiling it.

End of KH2 made me weep a little. Especially at the line "We'll go together"
It just made me realise, how much of a connection I had made with these characters, something thats never really happened to me in another game.

In Ico I wasnt really sad when it ended, cos nothing really catastrphic happened, except for the obvious. But in shadow of the colossus, in the end, when the really unexpected thing happens after it all calms down, then the hawk flies off and The Sunlit Earth (google it, amazing tune) starts playing, I smiled for a long time. Smile

Who says games cant be art?
Emriss
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
Cernunnos wrote:
Who says games cant be art?

Nobody here, that's for sure. Laughing

So many games are either emotionless or happy-go-lucky, because most major devs don't seem to realize the emotion-tapping potential.

Something that springs to mind is the emotional potential with -brace yourself- The Sims. You create these 'people'. You guide them through life. Even when it turns things like romantic relationships into a tedious number game, many start to feel something for these little pixel masses. And yet the damn thing insists on being happy-go-lucky! Your sim has a breakdown and goes insane? A goofy therapist falls from the sky and some amusing interactions ensue. Depressed from lack of social interaction? Down comes a giant, fluffy, bipedal bunny.

It makes it harder to feel for Sims when crushing event in their simulated lives are so...cheerfully and care-free-ly dealt with. I know they don't want to frighten people off, but couldn't they make it just a little more saddening?
Zinkers
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
YES.

LoZ Majora's Mask - I got so scared I cried T_T....THE MOON WAS CRASHING ON EARTH O-O it looked evil D;

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!!! DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME/ ARE STILL PLAYING IT!!!!

LAST WARNING!! SPOILERS BELOW! DON'T READ!!

I cried when I had to kill King Pellas for the first time [[you can refuse on your 2nd try, but I never did play again]] , turns out he died in VAIN , because the blood pact mark is still on his arm ;.; but later u find out he doesn't die in vain :DD! but its still VERY sad because you HAD to kill him. there was no other way to break the blood pact, EVEN if he knew the only one way to remove it. [[you have to BURN the contract and kill him ;(]]

That was the only things that standed out... but anyways, almost ALL games make me cry when I got SO FAR and I DIE </3
Alex H
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
My eyes actually watered a little when the player's horse, Agro, fell in Shadow of the Colossus. The game is really more about the interaction with the horse than with the giants.