top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Suppporting interactive entertainment other than games

Michael
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
I increasingly feel like videogames have become as mature as they are going to get. They have been stagnant for years now. The only thing that seems to evolve is the technology. I'm becoming very tired of including games in my thinking about the medium. Games just don't want to go where the technology could take us.

And at the same time, I like playing games. They're fun. I don't want to say bad things about them all the time.

So, I think I want to focus on interactive entertainment that is not games. I would like to support the concept. Maybe by starting a blog or something. I'd like to discuss new and different ways in which computer applications can be entertaining. And make lists and reviews of such applications. Perhaps including elements in videogames that are enjoyable despite of being unrelated to the game aspect of the program. I'd also like to find a way to commission designers to make such applications.

But I don't want to do this on my own. I don't even want Tale of Tales to run it. Because of the bias that comes with that. And also because we should focus on making things, not talking about them.

But I feel something needs to be done. I'm sick of the games industry and press being so damn satisfied with their dumb games. I want to move on. And leave them behind. If they are happy in the ghetto, let them.

If you feel like contributing to this project, please respond in this thread or contact us directly.
Michael
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Creative Applications is a good site in this context. I love it. But I'd like to get a bit more ambitious. In the terms of the projects featured (not just mobile applications and web experiments). I would also exclude games, and real-world installations. And I think the focus needs to be more on concepts than on news.
Michael
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
I have made a blog post about this subject.
Who am I?
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I love games too, and I too think they got warn-out like fast food or mainstream cinema.
thank god for indie!

umm... I always wanted to make a cat that is trapped inside a computer.
(as in... {CAT - Computer Aided [cat] Trap})
it's not something too facy, just a program that returns either a *purr* or a *scratch* based on what you do.
and 'what you do' could be anything (at least anything in the verbally-generated section of our thoughts).

like, just out of the blue,
if I write 'go to hell'
than... what does the cat get from it?
a scratch? why?
because 'go to hell' is an insult?
what if it doesn't know it's an insult?
what if it doesn't know the word 'hell?'
it sounds kinda funny, i'd definatly purr if I were to hear such flowing wonder of a word!
a sentence that ends with a 'breathing-out' like hell (h- ell ; all the air gets out of your lungs. thus making it low pitch at the ends [as long as it doesn't end with a question mark']) should yield a positive result.
if I write 'mouse!'
does it purr? cats like mice...
what if it doesn't know what a mouse is?
does it scratch?
the exclamation mark seems suspicious.
if it's a word that the cat doesn't have in it's memory, than it should have a set of rules for determining wether it likes it or not.
an exclamation mark means you're yelling, thus the cat scratches.
although... if I write something like 'IMPORT running-mouse.class' (which is a premade file), the running-mouse.class should have some states embedded onto it.
like... it moves fast.
if it moves fast, than a cat would scratch it.
thus ends the boolean test.
a cat would scratch anything that moves fast.

well... actually now that I read it all from the start it seems a bit boring.
it sounded good in my brain for some reason...

nevermind Laughing
Chainsawkitten
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link to Creative Applications, Michael. I've fallen in love with the site.

I still think the videogame medium is maturing. Not so much in the form of presentation or purpose but at least in theme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Svragon
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm very interested in these ideas of yours Michael.
I myself am now a student in the Netherlands, following a study for game design and development. Yet there are things that I'm missing...

My interest in narrative design has grown exponentially these last 2 years, and I've gathered an opinion of sorts on my own vision versus games and narrative.

To put a long story short: What I want to do with the things I create is to play with other peoples emotions. I want to play with their cognitive minds. Manipulate their unconscious thoughts.
This to be done with not only scenery and some music, but also with something more...

I know there is more to that then only this. And I really want to investigate and explore this.

If you are starting something like this. explore the vast vastness... Razz... of the tech we now possess. Let me aid you, or at least, grant me an insight in your findings. We could help each other a great deal this way.

anyways, If your interested, let me know okay Wink

Cheers

ow!
and @ who am I?
Awesome concept! I really like it! needs a bit of finetuning, but I really like it!
Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the club, Sven! Smile