top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Links to articles

Michael
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Arrow The Art of Computer Game Design (Chris Crawford)

Essay in which Mr. crawford formulates his famous definition of a game as "a closed formal system that subjectively represents a subset of reality".
Auriea
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:35 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
give the people what they want ! Wink

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50020
JPGInc
Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Just finished reading Mr. Crawford’s essay...that guy is awesome, I especially like the warning he put in "The Education of a Game Designer, November 2003" part. I was thinking of going to study computer game design next year but I think I’ll change to IT/Mathematics instead.
I’m sure I’ll get a lot more out of it in the second read but the biggest thing I’ve taken away from it was how he talked about the concept days of game design.

“A game must have a clearly defined goal. This goal must be expressed in terms of the effect that it will have on the player. It is not enough to declare that a game will be enjoyable, fun, exciting, or good; the goal must establish the fantasies that the game will support and the types of emotions it will engender in its audience”

Normally when I think of creating a game it’s something like ‘this game will be a FPS where you will play a storyline rather than just run around shooting people’ where as he explains that a game should be defined more like ‘In this game the player will experience the horrors of modern warfare through skillful planning and dexterity’ and molding the game based on that statement.

Defiantly worth reading I look forward to reading it again.