top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  An idea: Mixing of Genres

DeathZer0
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Hiho!

This is my first post on these forums so just some little details about my background: Haven't done so much serious game development yet, only mostly thinking and making a small scrolling shooter in Game Maker. Although currently I'm working on a game for health and education in my video game design class on college.

The idea I had for a while was a complete mixture of the RPG and tactical FPS genre. And on top of that a science fiction / fantasy combination.
Basically the opposite of what MMORPGs are currently doing (getting hit a couple of times with a claymore and the char not even flinching unless it's a special attack / bunch of people just charging at each other without even thinking once of the terrain they're fighting in or similar things).
Furthermore there's also been the idea of a different information gaining system (Example: Opponent level/health not entirely visible or distorted).

In a nutshell high risk/reward fast paced avoidance based combat where you have to think before you act similar to chess.

So the question was, what do you think of such a combination of genres? What genres could you imagine to combine? What do you think of having not all intel available until certain conditions are met? How would you handle intel given to the player?
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Why have combat at all? That's not very original.
Mayar
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
Michael, combat means for lot of boys the relief of aggresions...

I find many combats to stupid too... So, i like your idea and if you need any ideas for the story, PM or email me...

(Mass Effect has done something in that way, btw.)
DeathZer0
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
Just if this created any confusion I'm not talking about the game for health and education.

Since I planned the whole thing to be more of a mainstream game (basically something a publisher is willing to pay some money for) I didn't want something completly different which can live without combat (Portal would be a good example for such a game imho).

Also this game should have a strong multiplayer part and a good tool for competition in a multiplayer game is combat. And I think we can be sure that (fair) competition is a major factor in making a game "fun". However, at least in the singleplayer part I want to give the player the choice between mastering a mission/quest by killing somebody or without.

As for the theme of the game, I imagined a somewhat darker, yet fantastic scenario. The story would probably mostly be about political intrigues and war and how these things affect society and individual people. Although concerning the story I don't want to go into details as the gameplay concept is more importand for me now. One thing however, even if the game is meant to be about combat (and as player having fun while fighting) I want to add an anti-war thematic too.

Mass Effect, hm? I've heard a bit about it but haven't actually seen the game in action yet. Seems like I still have to get it, even if this means getting a crappy copy protection on my system Crying or Very sad
Mayar
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
Play it... it rules