top_image

<  Bientôt l'été  ~  Some "existencial" questions about the game :P

lunatika
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
While playing for about two hours and after collecting every chess piece and the gun, I end up asking my self some questions related with the idea of "finishing" this game.

I've already played FATALE, The Path and The Graveyard. But what I thought curious about Bientôt l'été was that it appears to have no winning condition, not even an ending. Tale of Tales previous games finish at some point, but Bientôt l'été seems to be an eternal (and ethereal) experience in space that evokes different feelings depending on the player. I really like that idea. But I was asking myself if there was actually and ending, I mean: is there a way to finish the conversations in the cafe when you have collected all the pieces? Are we suppose to find a use for the gun? or it just there to evoke thoughts about death and suicide, like some lines of dialog?

I wish someone could share their thoughts about this and let me tell you I love this game.

Sorry about my English, I'm from Argentina Smile
Unayq
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to share some thoughts here.

First of all, I never think of finishing this game at the begining, I've played for several weeks and even not collected every piece from the apparitions. As the introduction write"Bientôt l’été is not a game to be won.Play for experience. There is no goal.There is no story. Simply allow the atmosphere to embrace you. Do not think. Do not want. Just be."Of course, I think those words answered questions about finishing the game, it more likely can't be finished and those pieces are just symbols, metaphor.But there are more things to say.

I think a game( or I should say any art and non-art works )without a limit in begining/ending, narrative stories, languages, time and space is a really success. Beacuse of the no limitation, players tend to play it anytime anywhere they want, while those ones with an certain ending---if players finished once he/she will hardly play it twice even he/she is really like the game.

I think Bientôt l’été is a successful attempt at some level. But its system of playing sometimes cause a little boring, so it's easy to think about how to finish a thing completely:collecting all the phrase, collecting all the pieces, finish one goal etc. It is better like this:we should change our habitual thinking that everything has an end and could be finished, it will allow you to treasure and appreciate the process and meanings.

(Sorry I may not express anything properly I'm not a native English speaker either.)
lunatika
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I know all Tale of Tales games are games with no winning condition. But I thought Bientôt l’été would have an ending. I mean, FATALE also shows the message "is not a game to be won" at the intro, but it has an ending Razz

Quote:
we should change our habitual thinking that everything has an end and could be finished, it will allow you to treasure and appreciate the process and meanings.

Agree
Unayq
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I know what you mean, but I think Bientôt l’été better not have a certain ending. Embarassed It dosen't need one
BTW, did you restart the FATALE when finished or play it again after a long time? I'm curious : D
Michael
Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
In principle we always think of our games as endless and timeless. I guess with Bientôt l'été for the first time we have had the courage to actually implement this in the structure. It's a difficult design decision because many players really crave some kind of resolution. And Bientôt l'été provides for that a little through the gun and the borders at both sides of the beach (in earlier prototypes, the beach, too, was endless).
lunatika
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
(in earlier prototypes, the beach, too, was endless).

oh! It would have been fantastic! Very Happy

Thanks for your answer Michael

I replayed FATALE last month after playing Bientôt l'été for about 1 hour. I just wanted to remember the experience.
E
Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
Seeing the "partner" on the other side of the wall was intriguing at first glance. But maybe I would have prefer a endless beach. Because once you see the shadow partner, you know it can't be a other player, so it feel like a trick and it kind of break the immersion and take you out of the game.

Maybe it would have been interesting if the shadow partner on the other side of the wall follow the recording of other players movement when they are near the wall. Like a trace or or a ghost of other user exploration of the wall.