top_image

<  The Graveyard  ~  I think she died.... What now?

Vic
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
After the song, the old woman didn't move anymore. I really think she died. So I can't finish the game. It stays open on the computer. She sits on the bench. Nothing is happening. Nothing I can do.
Or what?
Michael
Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Her death is the end of the game.
morte
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I kind of agree with the op (and the reply, whilst in the spirit of the 'game' doesn't really help).

My first run through, without knowing anything of the game, went like this:
I walked, I turned right, but realised this isn't technically allowed as I lost sight of the old lady and had to reverse out. I couldn't move the camera either to take in my surroundings.

So I went straight to the bench (as per instructions, which by the way, shatter the immersion).
She sat, and I listened and read the words. A quirky little song, is it original?

And then she died, or did she sleep? I don't know. I do know I cannot move.
In the dying moments of the 'game' (no pun intended), I contemplate life/death etc. It was good. And then reality bites when I need to go do something else and there is no way to leave the game.

I alt-tab, end process. Ugly ugly ugly. And unless I missed something, this 'ending' ruined the entire experience.

I absolutely love the idea, but I don't think it has been realised as well as it might. I have a life-long interest in this subject; life, death, the human paradox of being aware of ones own mortality, the psychological and wider sociological affects of repressing thoughts of death, the way it has shaped our world. The worship of those who may transcend life and death (God and heroes), and the deep seated fear of living insignificant lives.
I've read Denial of Death by Ernest Becker; the foremost book on this subject. And many many other philosophical works surrounding life and death.
Whilst I approached this game with an open mind, I feel it could've been done better. As it stands it delivers its message, but in a rather crude way.

Overall I really enjoyed it (with exception the physical extraction of myself from the game!). And I look forward to playing The Path next.
Moriary
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Her death is the end of the game.

Her death may be the end of the game, the problem is her death doesn't give you the option to end the game. Once she dies you can no longer do anything to influence the game except showing the instructions.

Alt+tabbing out of the game to end the process is a very ugly way to quit the game.
It's like you walk into a museum, look at a portrait... and have to tear the whole painting down if you want do to something else?
Whitellama
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 23 Mar 2009 Posts: 129 Location: In the forest grove.
Moriary wrote:

It's like you walk into a museum, look at a portrait... and have to tear the whole painting down if you want do to something else?

Very nice analogy.

For me, I got the app version of The Graveyard, so I didn't have this problem. I just pressed the home button like any other app.
Michael
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
All I can say is that we did this on purpose. We wanted death to feel disruptive and difficult and unpleasant. Maybe we're just bad artists.
Spleen
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Nov 2010 Posts: 18 Location: On my own path through a endless forest of wandering.
Michael wrote:
Maybe we're just bad artists.

And that was a bad joke.
Greed
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Maybe we're just bad artists.

Not you're not!
YOU'RE AWESOME ARTISTS!
Donna
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I understand where you're coming from (the "art" part), but seriously? I have enough computer problems already. I do have the full version of The Graveyard, but now I'm certain I will never play it.
whoiscraig
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeomDP8ZMo

I feel guilty, and if devs read this, please don't take this the wrong way, but it made me laugh.

I understand what the game is about. It's that wtf feeling when someone close to you dies, and you wonder how you can ever go on - so when The Woman dies, you wonder how to 'complete' the game when the protagonist is dead.

But you gotta admit, there's something a little sinister about a game where the main character dies and there's no other way to end the game other than to end the process.

It was an intriguing game and I enjoyed what little there was of it. But yeah... it made me laugh. Sad
Michael
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Good! Smile

We find a lot of humor in all of our games. The Graveyard is no exception. We don't feel that laughter excludes sincerity. Surely we can have both.

Loved your video!