top_image

<  Quotes  ~  Favourite quotes?

Verdalas
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
I never really had one until I saw this.

"Gravity cannot be held responsible for people falling in love."

Made me Lol. Guess who said it? Einstein. Pure genius. Wink
makeshifter
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2007 Posts: 1720 Location: It's remarkable the smile you make just by showing up.
my favorites are in my signature. but the darn thing refuses to show.

but one thats not there is another einstine one.

"i do not know what weapons WW III will be fought with, but i do know that WW IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Sita
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
"Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet." -Plato

There are a whole series in one of my crap writings on Deviantart (every spoken line in this particular piece is actually a quotation of somebody else); here's a link if you're interested: linky linky!

It's not great. Far from my best, which itself is probably not great either, hehe.
makeshifter
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2007 Posts: 1720 Location: It's remarkable the smile you make just by showing up.
sita that page loaded me with popups telling me to install what i knew were viruses. remove it at once. or atleast fix it.

any way i'm directly copy and pasting these quotes from my signature. the first one is by me. the other is written in a book

"when in absence is hope and need what motivates us is fear and greed" -plmvd

"there are no facts in life only opions we trust enough to act on" -children of the mind

another one from me would be "if humanity is destruction... then isn't divinity the creation of humanity." - plmvd
Sita
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
makeshifter wrote:
sita that page loaded me with popups telling me to install what i knew were viruses. remove it at once. or atleast fix it.

It gives me no problems whatsoever, nor anyone else who has ever visited it.
makeshifter
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
well then the internet is being a douche. sorry Wink
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Favourite quotes?

My school had this giant calendar up on a wall near the canteen (or cafetaria, whatever it's called). On it, there are several inspirational quotes.

The most impactful one, too me, is:

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost at all.

I would add an extra bit behind:

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost those you love at all.

When I saw this quote, I could relate to it because I had just lost my darling rabbit then. This quote will go really well for all those who have loved someone, be it a person, an animal, a plant (Well, they are living things), and lose them, be it of old age, or sickness, or accidents. Death is death. Death is often sad, for it brings separation. Inspiring messages do help bring comfort to those who are left behing, because they know then, that they are not the only ones who have loved and lost.

If it were to be that one wes to never lose the things one loves, I don't think that the person would appreciate all the things around him/her that much. Hence, losing as as important as loving, too.

'...never to have lost at all...' would also mean 'never to have loved at all', I suppose.

Ah. Another quote. 'Love is many a wonderful thing. All you need is love...' From Moulin Rogue, the Elepahat Medley Rolling Eyes . The song's a lot of fun, especially if you watch the fan-editted, IchiRuki Bleach version. Indeed.

Bunnisteffi

P.S Garh. I blabbed. And blabbered. Gomen!
Lyrak
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
Actually, the quote does go: "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

Wink

Shakespeare, I think.
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Lyrak wrote:
Actually, the quote does go: "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

Wink

Shakespeare, I think.

Smile I got mine from Samuel Butler. Guess he took Shaker's, and mordenised it.

So my thinking that 'never to have lost at all' is actually 'never to have loved at all' is right!

Bunnisteffi
Wildbluesun
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
...I don't have favourite quote, I have favourite quoters and look them up for things like this.

For instance.

Mark Twain:

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive anyway.

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit; there's no use being a damn fool about it.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Oscar Wilde:

The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius.

I can resist everything except temptation.

A fashion is merely a form of ugliness so unbearable that we are compelled to alter it every six months.

Misc:

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. - Catherine the Great. (I picked the horrible warning.)

I refuse to think of them as chin hairs. I think of them as stray eyebrows. - Janette Barber

Lady Astor: "Winston, you're drunk!"
Winston Churchill: "But I shall be sober in the morning and you, madam, will still be ugly."

Lady Astor: "Mr Churchill, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea."
Winston Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I'd drink it."

Although this is my favourite. Can't remember the author, but here we go...

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:

Lady Astor: "Winston, you're drunk!"
Winston Churchill: "But I shall be sober in the morning and you, madam, will still be ugly."

Lady Astor: "Mr Churchill, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea."
Winston Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I'd drink it."

Although this is my favourite. Can't remember the author, but here we go...

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Who is Lady Astor? She seems to have a rather strong character...

'Too dark to read'? I don't really get the meaning.. Let me guess.

'Outside of a dog', means 'besides a dog'? Paralleling the 'A dog is a man's best friend saying'? 'Inside of a dog', is 'just knowing only the dog, one would not be able to gain intelligence'?

I don't think my reasoning of the second bit makes sense. It's like the 'A poem must not mean, but be', quote. Laughing That one took me a while to understand.

Bunnisteffi
Kalira
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Aug 2007 Posts: 264 Location: munching on flowers
Quote:
'Inside of a dog', is 'just knowing only the dog, one would not be able to gain intelligence'?

I think it's meant a bit more literally. Embarassed Like trying to read after you've been swallowed. Tis a pun. Or something. Confused
Lyrak
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
First google results come up saying that quote belongs to Groucho Marx. Wink

And yes, I do believe it was meant to be a joke. lol I do so love a good pun (or a bad one as the case may be).
Wildbluesun
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Delete button saywha?

Last edited by Wildbluesun on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildbluesun
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It's a joke that made me gigglesnort the first time I heard it. =) Outside a dog = apart from a dog, inside a dog is literal.

Wikipedia says that Lady Astor was the first female MP in the British parliament. Feminist, Tory, member of the temperance movement, and wit. I heard from my skim-reading of her article that she had a divorce in America, and being the first woman MP must have taken character.

Last edited by Wildbluesun on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total