Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Incidentally...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6XfyQsr4

Thou shalt not watch Hollyoaks.

Oh HELLS YEAH.
Mikoto
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't care that much for quotes like that...
I remember one i liked, tho: "Learning to draw is learning to see" (or something like that.. >___>') It was said by one comic-artist...
Sarah
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Aug 2007 Posts: 1135 Location: Standing amidst the glowing fireflies in the dim twilight.
"A man who cannot die for something is not fit to live."

Or something like that...

From MLK.
Verycrazygirl
Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
"Laughter is eternity if joy is real."
Cernunnos
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jul 2009 Posts: 36 Location: In the highest branches of the tallest tree in an endless forest
My favourite quotes ever are:

How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
-Alexander Pope

and

Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend. Now I will step forward to realize this wish. And who knows: Starting a new journey may not be so hard, or maybe it has already begun. There are many worlds, but they share the same sky -- One sky, one Destiny.
-Kingdom Hearts
Liëka
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
“I naturally tend to see the funny side of life. Humour is essential for our survival.
It makes us who we are. Looked at in the right way, there’s nothing that can’t be laughed about.”

-Paul Merton

"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
-Humphrey Lyttelton
Emriss
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
More of Douglas Adams!

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

Also: "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Verdalas
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
A quote of my own adapted from one of Shakespeare's plays, Hamlet:

"Alas, Andorhal, I hardly knew thee!"

based on World of Warcraft, there's a quest called "Alas, Andorhal" where you need to go through a city overrun with evil things. It used to be a nice town, but of course, hardly anyone knew what it was like until it went deaaaad.
Liëka
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
"I'd never want to be a dividing cell, because there'd be two of me and we'd be tiny."
- T-Rex

Edit: Oh yeah, and my Randomizer avatar. But the main focus of this post is the above. I just like it for some reason. xD
Deadroe
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Mmmmm... Quotes... <opens his "little" archive of hoarded up quotes> Hmm. Let's see...

"In a sport both sides should know they're in the game. Hunting is not a sport."

"The best things in life are not things."
--Pseudomanitou

"Worrying solves nothing."
--Milton Glaser

"It may be a point of great pride to have a Van Gogh on the living room wall, but the prospects of having Van Gogh himself in the living room would put a great many devoted art lovers to rout."
--From the book "Art and Fear"

"I think if we talked more realistically about what creativity feels like, we might let ourselves do a little more of it. If we thought of it as normal--98.6 on the human spectrum--instead of a sudden spike in our psychic temperature, we might let ourselves do it as a daily practice. We might all show up at the page or the easel and discover that there are reams of work waiting to move through us, right now, in the exact life we have already. We might discover that creativity is not a marathon event that we must gird ourselves for, whacking off great swaths of life as we know it to make room for it."
--Julia Cameron, The Sound of Paper

"I do not fear death, for I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and none the worse off for it."
--Mark Twain

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-- Albert Einstein

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it."
-- Helen Keller.

"Until the 19th century, ... anthropomorphism was integral to the relation between man and animal and was an expression of their proximity. Anthropomorphism was the residue of the continuous use of animal methaphor. In the last two centuries, animals have gradually disappeared. Today we live without them. And in this new solitude, anthropomorphism makes us doubly uneasy."
-- Berger, "animal victims in post-darwinian fiction"

"How can we determine where human existence meets animal existence when animals are at one moment the personification of wickedness and at the next the embodiment of innocence, or are at one moment individuals exactly like ouselves and at the next the slab of meat on our dinner-plates?"
-- Berger, "animal victims in post-darwinian fiction"

"If we pay attention to some basic and well-accepted biological ideas,
especially evolutionary continuity, it is difficult to justify the belief that
ours is the only species on this planet in which individuals are self-conscious.
It remains possible that there are degrees of selfhood and that humans
are just another point on a continuum of the evolution of self."
-- Mark Bekoff (Considering Animals Not "higher" primates)

The use of operant conditioning
does not preclude animal consciousness; it may simply be
the best means to communicate to a languageless being.
----
Many of us appear to be still
uncomfortable with the full implications of Darwin’s
theory of evolution, which suggests that human con-
sciousness and expertise emerged from animal consciousness
and expertise (Mayr 2001). As Rumbaugh (1995)
states, “throughout history, humans have sought lines of
argument and fact that would make us unique from
animals. Different we are, but not so totally different as
some would think” (p. 302). Without erecting barriers,
artificially constructed specifically for the purpose of
excluding non-humans, animals cannot be denied their
expertise.
-- (Animal Expertise, Conscious or Not.pdf - William S. Helton)

"I see intelligence as just one of a variety of adaptations among tetrapods for survival. Running fast in a herd while being as dumb as shit, I think, is a very good adaptation for survival."
-- Jack Sepkoski

<...> Kauffman also describes genes as "utterly dead". However, he says there are some genes that turn the rest of the genes and one another on and off. Certain chemical reactions happen. Enzymes are produced, etc. And that while we only have 25,000 to 30,000 genes, there are many combinations of activity.
Here’s what he told me over the phone:
"Well there’s 25,000 genes, so each could be on or off. So there’s 2x2x2x25,000 times. Well that’s 2 to the 25,000th. Right? Which is something like 10 to the 7,000th . Okay? There’s only 10 to the 80th particles in the whole universe. Are you stunned?"

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-- Phillip K. Dick

“The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them”
-- Albert Einstein

"If common sense were a reliable guide, we wouldn't need science in the first place."
-- Amanda Gefter, New Scientist

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -- Pablo Picasso

"Art is doing something notable. Design is doing something usefull."
-- Andy Rutledge

Mark Henn mentioned that someone (Eric Larson?) used to say: "Bring the audience up to your level. Don't go down to their level".

"Thoughts.— Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings—always darker, emptier, simpler."
-- Nietzsche

"Isn't humanity's faith in God, a lack of faith in humanity?"
-- Nietzsche

"Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule."
-- Nietzsche

"What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence, a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it."
-- Herbert Simon

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
-- Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, 1905
decentguy
Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Here are some of my favorite quotes:

• “I will move toward whatever I fear today (this week/month/year, at this event), conquer my shyness, train myself how to be confident, and become the person that I desire.”
• The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one.
Elbert Hubbard
• There is no impossibility to him who stands prepared to conquer every hazard.
The fearful are the failing.
Sarah J. Hale
• Experience teaches slowly, and at the cost of mistakes.
James A. Froude
• If there is no dark and dogged will, there will be no shining accomplishment; if there is no dull and determined effort, there will be no brilliant achievement.
• If you have a full-on growth mindset, anything and everything is possible.
• I can always substantially change how intelligent I am.
• I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.
• You yourself have to think you're great because no one else is going to tell you that you are.
• In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
• Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better.
• Most people give up just when they're about to achieve success. They quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game one foot from a winning touchdown.
• To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.

Source: http://funnylifequotes4u.com/
bobwarner01
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
mine favorite is by Oscar Wilde:
The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death. Evil or Very Mad

Another one:
by Albany Bach Reid

Passion spins around love and I am dizzy always around you.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
My all time favourite quote:

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P Lovecraft

Sums up life.
atomtengeralattjaro
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Martin Luther King Jr.
James Donovan
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
/// nothing is for always /// is my all time favorite.