top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Time

Michael
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:46 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
One big difference between movies and games in terms of narrative is that games are more or less real time, while movies (and books) constantly skip over "the boring parts". Would it be possible to use this technique in games? Or is this something that can only be understood in the framework of a linear story?

In games, skipping is often done in terms of space by using teleporter devices. And that always feels very artificial and does not suit every type of narrative. But could a game cut from one moment to another the next day in the next scene like happens in movies all the time?

I know games are not movies. But it seems to me that in terms of photography and flow, movies are so much richer than games. I wonder if we can borrow some of these techniques.
MoriartyL
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
This sort of thing would work great in many linear games, where reaching the end of a section prompts the game to skip ahead. In nonlinear games, I don't see how it could be implemented and not detract from the experience. Time is completely linear, after all.
Eira
Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I remember that sort of thing from Lucasarts' Grim Fandango. You would come to the end of a story arc and time would pass, and then you pick up when events have started to become interesting. It is a linear story, and feels like a long movie. You find your own way, but the choices were already placed for you.

Another game by them, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, would skip over to the next day. In Day of the Tentacle you could skip back and forth through time in order to accomplish your goals, such as you need vinegar in the future so you set up a bottle of wine in the past. Or a device from the future might help you cheat a little in the past and get something done. It seems to work well for these kinds of linear adventure games...
Mooncalf
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes the adventure games are probably the most Cinematic.

Consider the RPGs (e.g. by Square), in many you go to an inn/hotel and rent a room, there's a short outro-music and fade-to-black and you come back refreshed. Since many of these games had no discernable night-day transition, and if a stay at an inn/hotel was implicitly "night time", days can seem long or short at the more-or-less unconcious control of the player?

Then of course there's the Elder Scrolls games, which do have a night-day transition, and allow you to "Wait" on a sliding scale of hours which skips time, for example there is a door in Morrowind which only opens at certain times of the day and the easiest thing was to use the wait function outside, but there were other instances where this control had a narrative use. TES games are pretty damn non-linear, too...

Segways and transitions therefore have been employed, even to a degree of cleverness in design... Perhaps the question then is how can these techniques be employed more often but without the player's direct intervention.