top_image

<  Quotes  ~  Will Wright: player as director

Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
He also emphasized the creative nature of the gameplay; instead of Luke Skywalker or Bilbo Baggins, "I wanted to put the player in the role of George Lucas... or J.R.R. Tolkien."

Will Wright, quoted by Vincent Diamante
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Will Wright. He's the creator of the Sims, Sims City and the SIms 2, just to name a few games. I heard that he started the Sims with a game originally called 'Doll House'. Like a dollhouse, the player is able to manipulate the Sims/dolls however they want, and the Sims would just simply go do it, unless there're obstacles that prevent the Sim from getting to the spot of which the thing is done. e.g. a chair blocking the Sim's path.

However, with Sims 2, the Sims are more than just dolls. They have aspirations and wants, and also fears. You could say that they're more high-tech dolls. The player, here, is still able to do whatever he/she wants with them, but she/he would have to consider the outcomes more carefully.

Here, the player is the director of this high quality, high-tech house of dolls. Director, in that he/she is directing out an entire mini movie, whether or not he/she is recording the going-ons with a camera.

I'm going to stop at there. Brain going fizzy... Confused

Bunnisteffi
Michael
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
It's not exactly correct that the player is the director in The Sims. Because the Sims have needs and wants that the player is supposed to satisfy. The player cannot tell them to want something else.
Lyrak
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
Michael wrote:
It's not exactly correct that the player is the director in The Sims. Because the Sims have needs and wants that the player is supposed to satisfy. The player cannot tell them to want something else.

I'm sure actors get hungry. Wink

Of course, I suppose the Sims would be more like "reality" tv (don't even try to tell me they never tell those people what to do to get better ratings, I ain't buyin' it. lol), only far less annoying.
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:

Well. But it's possible to just ignore the Sim's needs. That would be ochestrating their deaths, however. Evil or Very Mad
Wildbluesun
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
I hate my Sims in trouble. =( I want them to be happy and smily.

Talking of Sims, my Sim got preggers today. I was so pleased. =) Her life aspiration is to marry off six kids, so this is a good start.

But now her wants go down really fast and she keeps vomiting and turning the toilet green. Which isn't pleasent. And she has special maternity wear, which amuses me. ^^
tinfoil
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
Good luck on the marrying off of 6 kids. I've had that several times and never managed to make it happen. The sick stuff will pass only to be replaced by quick loss of energy. Hope she doesn't have twins!!! QUICK! Hire a maid. And if she does have twins, hire a nanny. If you seriously want to work on her aspriration, better fill her wants frequently and get the elixor so you can increase her lifespan. Either that or adopt ... teenagers! ACK! Just thinking about trying to fulfill that makes my head spin. Now you're going to need to work on ... EGAD ... relationships!
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

OK. I am going to adopt and hire people. I WILL do this aspiration.

(Though her hubby's aspiration is a golden anniversary, so all I have to do is make sure they don't divorce and pray for a long life. How do you get that elixir?)
tinfoil
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
You fulfill the wants and then cash in the points in the rewards catalog. Not easily done, especially when you're trying to teach the kid to walk, talk, and potty. The nanny won't teach the child anything but will allow your other household members to either work or sleep. Caution, once you HAVE the elixir, don't use it if your sim isn't gold or you'll lose 3 days off the lifespan. If you use it when your sim is gold, you gain 3 days each time they drink it. I think it has enough for 5 drinks. I tend to have them empty it as soon as they're gold. Your next challenge after getting the kids is obtaining spouses for them. Oh, and remember you'll need to have enough money to be approved to adopt. Laughing It's a vicious circle. GOOD LUCK!!! You can always save a little sanity by using the ... erm ... approved cheat for money. Then you can afford the little beasties ... I mean kids. HAHAHA! There's also smart milk available in the rewards catalog. It makes teaching the ... little darlings much less time consuming. Again though, you have to have at least gold aspiration. Keep me posted. I'm rooting for you!!
Wildbluesun
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
OK. Something I haven't told you so far is my stupid number of pets. My family goes like this:

- Thunder the dog
- Lightning the dog (I'm banal, shuddup)
- Comet the cat
- Metor the cat
- Starbright, the aforementioned cats' son
- Midnight, the aforementioned cats' daughter
All of the above work in showbiz...I'd get rid of them to make room for more kids but I need the money!

- Leona
- Karl
- Elle, adopted daughter, currently a teenager
- Leah, biological daughter, currently a child

...I don't know how I managed to end up with so many. =/

I got Leona up to gold, sent her to the Elixir (yes, I got it) but just as she drank it she dropped below gold! It was so frustrating! I had to bump her up more and give her extra doses!

Currently my Grand Scheme is to keep everyone (includes pets) on adult (unless they're kids, obviously). When Elle leaves I'll get her to take one of the kittens with her, when Leah does, the same. Then if I play it right I can get puppies and two kids.

I also hired a maid, who is incredibly useful, and fiddled the building to improve environment.

...I really want puppies.

Fulfilling wants is easy for me, because half of them are "Play with Lightning. Give love to Thunder. Command Meteor to Roll Over. Talk to Karl."
tinfoil
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
Did you know you can sell pets? Should I tell you the cheat to get money? If you get good at fishing, you won't need to buy groceries. I recommend NOT having the teenager get a job. Have them study skills instead and then send them off to college if you've got University. Get a robot building station and build robots. You can quit your job and sell those without even having a store. The flower station and toy making station don't generate much income for the time spent. When you get real good at building robots, you can build a servo which will do all your chores for you and you can fire the maid. It also becomes a playable sim. Oops. I forget which expansion pack all those are in. I have all of them except the new one, Bon Voyage. How long have you been playing sims?
Wildbluesun
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Woah, lots of questions. O.O

My adults don't have jobs. XD That's why I need the pets...and also I like the pets. -.- So sad. But I find the pets

The only expansion I've got is Pets, and I REFUSE to get more because Sims eats enough of my time as it is.

The first Sims game I played (aside from things like Sim Farm, Sim Safari, etc, which don't count) was Bustin' Out on the PS2; played it from when I was, hmm...still in single digits? I still love it; occasionally I open it up and expand my harem. XD Been playing 2 for a while now.

Both my adults have ~20 days to go before they're elders; I chated and gave Elle the elixir before gold, so now it's only about eight days before she becomes an adult. I might give her even more...

Oh yes, and Comet and Meteor both got to the top of showbiz. I'm so proud of them. Wink
Blackfeathr
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Posts: 949 Location: In the box under your stairs...
I've had pretty rotten luck with my Sims, lol.

My first Sims I had a boy, his sister, and a girl. They had a child but then I made the mistake of buying a silly hat from the Aspiration thing and that killed the guy. :( So I gave up on them....
My next Sims were pretty much the same scheme... brother, sister, unrelated girl... the sister became a lesbian and of course the brother and unrelated girl made some babehs. They were all boys! :O I was like wtf. Then... the boys didnt get good grades so the social worker took them all away save for the teen :(

Im on my third family and I did things a bit differently This time I had four unrelated people and I thought that hey, they could produce four kids and theyd be unrelated so the four kids would marry each other etc. CEPT THEY WERE ALL GIRLS UUNNNHHH
I had a close call once where a freak fire came out and the fire truck couldnt come because of the maid, the gardener, and the nanny were all there. I Cntrl Alt Deleted, so all memory was lost. >:) Shhhh...

But it worked out. My girls are teenagers now and one of them met the teen boy from my previous family. They hit it off sooo.. we'll see how it goes from there. All the NPC teen/guys are jerks, lol.

d00d I want to get the Sims Pets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wildbluesun
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Sims Pets is coooool. The pets are so cute! =) And skinny-type dogs (greyhound-ish shape) walk in such a graceful way.
LK
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge Sims 2 fan. I only have Pets and Seasons, though. I want Open for Business because rooobootttss

Wait no scratch that I want all the packs. Though it would most definitely lag my game up something crazy.