top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  I am sick of games

E.B
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
I am sick of games.
I am sick of stupid meaningless games where you play for "points".
I am sick of meaningless gameplay.
(And indie games are just as bad, if not worse).

It depresses me.

Sorry, but I just have to let this out. And this is one of the few places where I won't get flamed for saying it.

Oh, not all games are like this. But a fair few are.
Smile
Michael
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Are you sure not all games are like that? Wink

I think it's just time. Time for the true Next Generation of games. Time for games to move out of the toy store, out of the kids room. We're all growing up. But the games are not.

There's hope though. Your complaint. Jonathan Blow's recent lecture. Our recent experiences with publishers. Some of the things that Sony is experimenting with on PSN...
And, well, why not: the success of The Endless Forest. And even perhaps the positive response to artistic attempts like The Marriage and Passage. I think the audience is ready for something new, something else. The question is: are the developers?
E.B
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I think it's the developers who're scared.
They don't know how to make anything else but the stuff they're churning out, all apart from a handful of artists.

As for games as kids toys, I don't have a problem with that. But I'd rather see these toys to be like LittleBigPlanet, or Katamari. Maybe even Spore.
You know, things that are a bit more creative.
I wouldn't like to leave kids in the dust either, they need something better than the rubbish marketed as "games".

Of course, games need to go beyond being toys too. This is very important.

I see a lot of games people supporting Jon Blow's lecture, but they don't do what they preach.
Vrav
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
The question is: are the developers?

Ready!
Michael
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Vrav wrote:
Michael wrote:
The question is: are the developers?

Ready!

Download link, please! Smile
axcho
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah. I went through that phase a month or two ago, where I was tired of games, and gamers, and their endlessly repetitive chatter about games. You might have noticed some of my angsty comments to that effect on the Tale of Tales blog. Smile

The feeling of revulsion at everything game related has more or less passed, but my wariness of the conventional game industry has remained.

I'm not sure what else to say to you now, but I am glad to hear that I am not alone in feeling this way.
Michael
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
The "conventional industry" as you call it, actually seems to be ready for something new. It's the game developers who are holding things back.
Vrav
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
The greedy heads of marketing, and largely corporate "game development" companies, in my uninformed opinion.
E.B
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
The Marketing dept. were the people who thought Katamari would sell well, at Namco. It was the devs who didn't.
Michael
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
Some developers push their ideas through, as they should! And often this leads to great success. I think the "greedy heads of marketing" may finally be starting to understand this, as the games industry is evolving in a broader entertainment industry.

They will probably never be extremely progressive but it this point in time, I think they realize that new ideas may actually lead to more profit. So I hope developers take advantage of that.
Michael
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
E.B wrote:
The Marketing dept. were the people who thought Katamari would sell well, at Namco. It was the devs who didn't.

Really?
Interesting. Where did you hear this?

Gotta love the marketing department! Smile
nawcom
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
I am usually pretty heavy into the latest game entertainment stuff, and I have had the same feeling myself. I'm especially tired of the first person shooter genre. I read these articles about how amazing this new game is, how the graphics are amazing, how creative the storyline is, how realistic it is - well I agree with all of those. But still. It's still a first person shooter. I get this feeling that it's just the same as all the other games. I just want to play something.. .different.

The only games I can really think of off hand that I remember really enjoying how -different- they were, are narbacular drop (the game made before Valve hired the developers to make the Portal game), and I guess Psychonauts. That was pretty much an action adventure type, but I just found how many different angles the game was designed around, and how creative the storyline was. From what I remember Microsoft as the publisher dropped it. (nawcom doesn't use Microsoft products) I only assume they dropped it because it was way different than the norm. *shrugs* The way I like it. Uggh, its almost 4am. Time to... not sleep, but get that espresso machine starting up. It's codin' time for me.

Now that I think about it, it seems that that is how culture, at least in the US works. Products seem to repeat each other, then someone comes out with an amazing idea for a product, and gets dropped, and continues on 'till someone with this "crazy" idea gets backed by a successful company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
You have a point: there seems to be a strong desire to create games as product. This is how capitalism works: make as much stuff as you can. If, however, making this stuff requires creativity, chances are that most products will be mediocre. There's not much you can do about that, except for make less games and only produce the really good ones. Even if a developer tries hard, they may not be able to make a really good game. But I do think they should try harder than they are doing lately. If even the marketing people get sick of their mediocrity, it's time to move on.
E.B
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Interesting. Where did you hear this?

It was in an interview. At the Rabbit Snare, which is a site that translates Japanese interviews and stuff that are game-related, into English.
They've also got interviews with Ueda.

Link: http://www.rabbitsnare.com/
axcho
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
I wrote a new blog post expanding on my annoyance with games culture and why I still care about games.

Why I Care About Games

It's preaching to the choir, I know, but it's fun. Enjoy. Smile