-Immersion in atmospheric environments
-Pick-up-and-play
-Flexibility
-Social interaction

Aleks Krotoski
Michael
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Why do females seem so much more civilized then males?...
rinku
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
here are what i've discovered so far on the differences between female and male play style, as general rules (i know exceptions to these too); these are based on my two sisters and my female friends vs. my two brothers and myself my male friends and the game tastes of each. and the two biggest things i've noticed differentiating them are:

1. females like to build or maintain or take care of complex systems, i.e. they like games like civilization and sim city (because of building something or taking care of it), and games where you can raise living creatures (even if only as a mini-game, such as chocobo breeding in final fantasy 7). by far, the females i know don't really like games that have "missions" or a "kill the boss" structure. some games have both a creative and a destructive element -- and both groups like those games, but for different reasons. for example, in a strategy rpg, females enjoy the process of building up and preparing and equipping, males more enjoy the challenge of overcoming the opposition. [this one has an obvious evolutionary psychology explanation.]

2. semi-disagreeing with the quote, i think females care more about character than plot -- plot is the action, the structure of the story, what's happening, what will happn next -- i think males care more about that than females do. the females i know forget all about the plot when they replay a rpg, they remember the characters very well though. they are interested in the characters qua characters, detached from their role in the plot. [not really sure why this difference exists -- it's not limited to games, but to movies and anything with stories, females focus more on characters, males more on plot]

note: the font is too small! especially on 1280x1--- resolution...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Why do females seem so much more civilized then males?...

Perhaps it this is because males are still dominating the human species.
Civilisation is the artificial way in which humans want to compensate for their shortcomings in nature. The shortcomings in males are exactly the qualities in women. If women were on top, our society would consider violence and confrontation to be primary signs of civilisations.

Question
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Michael wrote:
If women were on top, our society would consider violence and confrontation to be primary signs of civilisations.

My brother already seems to think this...

I agree that building and taking care of things is satisfying. I'm one of those people who're never ever ever mean to their Sims...ever. I also think that females possibly have more strategy than males. Based on my own anecdotal experience, from the age of about seven I was preaching balanced Pokémon teams and going to great lengths to acquire type-matched Pokémon for the Elite Four. My brother and my friend Danyal just played as they felt like it.
Jay
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
-Good plot
-Rich characterizations
-Choice in goal-attainment strategies
-Freedom of self-expression
-Novelty
-Pick-up-and-play
-Flexibility
-Social interaction[/i]

True all this; you'll always find more girls in an RPG than a FPS.
Moogie
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
As a female gamer, if I ever found a game that ticked all those boxes, I think I'd be set for life.
Anduin
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
Me too. Sounds perfect. XD
Michael
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Me too. And I'm male. (but perhaps not a "gamer"...)
Number36
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
If women were on top, our society would consider violence and confrontation to be primary signs of civilisations.

I'm not getting this, rephrase please? It really doesn't make sense.
Michael
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
Number36 wrote:
Michael wrote:

I'm not getting this, rephrase please? It really doesn't make sense.

I was just speculating. Since civilisation is a way for humans to correct nature's mistakes and males have dominated our societies for a long time, the things we try to correct are the typically male problems (violence, aggression, etc). And the things we favour are the things that come less natural do the dominant gender: empathy, social harmony, etc.
So I was speculating that if women would have been dominant, they would have wanted to correct empathy and favour aggression since the first comes natural and the second is alien.

Don't hurt your head about it. It's not meant to be deep. Wink
edenb
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
As a female, I think that a game that has all those criterion would be wonderful. However, I don't think that "Pick-up-and-play"is necessary. A good learning curve certainly; but I don't mind games that take a little longer to get used to and are more complex. Ultimately the player gets a bigger reward (and more kudos in their mind) after being able to understand and tackel a game that isn't "pick up and play". However, I do think that a smooth learning curve is critical.
opale12
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
as a girl, I say that each person is different. I agree with the others, a game with all these would be wonderful but I'm very an "all games" type of girl. I like some FPS(GRAW), I like somes Sims(Sims 2, the coming Spore), I like some Japanese RPGs(Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata), I like some MMORPGs(Eudemons Online, Rappelz, Webearthonline...), but not all.

Laugh if you want but I also like pokemons Rolling Eyes I stopped playing pokemons years ago, of course Shocked but I like them.

And also I disagree with the person who said that girls think more of the characters than the story. It's true for some girls, but not all of them. A friend of mine played Zelda Twilight Princess: all the time she was only thinking about how Link was so cute Wink I played Zelda Twilight Princess, and yes, he is cute Wink , but I paid more attention to the storyline (still never understood why Ganondorf's animal form was a giant pig... Embarassed )
BeanBean
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Nov 2007 Posts: 123 Location: Stealing a Vampires Virginity ;)
Michael wrote:
-Good plot
-Rich characterizations
-Choice in goal-attainment strategies
-Freedom of self-expression
-Novelty
-Pick-up-and-play
-Flexibility
-Social interaction

Aleks Krotoski

not what i would usually play but it doesnt actually sound that bad if at least one explosion happens im sorted ^^
Fenqua
Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 26 May 2008 Posts: 174 Location: In a field of flowers
I think male domination has been bad for this world. Not that I'm saying women would be the best, but working together would be the best solution.

But, I agree with most facts posted about females here, I can recognize myself in it. I'm very bad at 'guy' games, like shooters and stuff. But I like one on one fights, like in Tekken or Soul Calibur.