80%
  [ 71 ]  80%

No  
19%
  [ 17 ]  19%

Total Votes : 88
Jen
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Here is a list of the most commonly asked problems and errors in the game. This is still being worked on so I'm not finished yet. Smile

Q: I am using Windows Vista or 7 and I can't find my screenshots! Where are they?
A: Click "compatibility files" at the top in the screenshots folder and make sure your screenshots are saved as BMP or JPG. You can change this in the options menu in the game.

Q: Why does this deer have the same pictogram as me?
A: It just looks like it has your pictogram to you, but to everyone else it has their pictogram. It's just a harmless glitch and eventually will go away.

Q: I can't see any deer! OR All of the pictograms are grouped at the bottom of the screen! What is going on?
A: It is caused by the client not receiving information about the other players from the server. The pictograms appear at the bottom of the screen because the positions of those players are actually very deep under the floor. This is a dummy location so the engine can know whether real data has been received for a player's position or not. There is no way to fix this, it usually corrects itself anywhere from an hour to a day.

Q: "ForestViewer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
A: Go to the Start Menu and select "Run...". Then type dxdiag and enter. Then wait a bit. A diagonostics tool for DirectX will open with information about your system. Check the Display section. The date of your drivers should be there. If they are old, check the website of the manufacturer to find newer ones.

Q: "ForestViewer.EXE has stopped working" on Vista?
A: Deactivate the DEP.
To deactivate DEP, go to:
Control Panel -> System -> Advanced (or extended, don't remember the translation) -> Performance -> Settings -> Data execution prevention -> set to "activate DEP only for windows programs and related services".
Make sure you are running the computer as the Administrator.

Q: How do I see a large image of my pictogram?
A: http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/register/pictogram.php?username=
Type your Endless Forest username after the equal sign (not your forum name).

Q: I am getting very bad lag and the game is running slow. How can I fix this?
A: You may be able to improve the framerate by turning on Simple shadows (or turning off shadows all together), turning off Blinking and setting the character detail to "Very low".

Q: I pressed something and now I can't get my screen to stop spinning around the Twin God Statue! How do I make it stop?
A: What you did was you turned on the Abiogenesis mode, which is great for watching the Abio if you have a slow computer. It is always centered around the statue. To turn it on and off, press CTRL+W on your keyboard.

Q: How do the hotkeys work?
A: You hover your mouse of the action you want to make a hotkey, then press one of the F keys along the top except for F10, and presto! If you want to use a hotkey, make sure you move your mouse away from the action panel or you might reset it.

Q: Why do so many deer have the same pictogram?

This pictogram belongs to Michael, one of the game creators. When the new version of the game was created, Michael's pictogram started to appear over nameless deers' heads. Michael thinks his picto got lodged in the programming by accident. Hopefully this problem can be fixed without too much hassle, but for now, you can be fairly sure any deer with that pictogram is a nameless deer.

Q: My hotkeys don't work, what am I doing wrong?
A: When you choose a hotkey, you have your mouse over the emote you want to choose. Make sure after that, you move your mouse away from the menu before pressing the hotkeys. You need to make sure your mouse is not over the menu bar or they won't work.

There is also a thread with a list of how to do certain things in the forest. To check it out, click here.

Last edited by Jen on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 am; edited 7 times in total
Sluggs
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
The best way to improve framerates when there's a few deer around, is to set the character detail to "Medium"

Last edited by Sluggs on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xylophagous
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Nov 2007 Posts: 790 Location: Cardboard Box Castle
Ugh you already made it? Whats some other slave er I mean Mod work I can rummage up for you to do xD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jen
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
It's not completely finished yet. Laughing
Are you trying to work me to death Xy? ARE YOU?! Because if you are you can just come out and say it!
Xylophagous
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Nov 2007 Posts: 790 Location: Cardboard Box Castle
*shifty eyes and trundles away*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Redkora
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:22 am Reply with quote
I would also like to add that setting The Endless Forest to "Run program as an administrator" helps people with the Hotkeys who are running from Vista. I just found that tonight.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Righ-click on the Endless Forest Program icon, go to "Properties," go to the "Compatibility" tab, and then check the box at the bottom that says, "Run program as an administrator." That made the hotkeys work for me.
Verdalas
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
I don't know if this is worth mentioning somewhere, but using Torrent programs usually causes the game not to connect. It's happened on more than one computer for me, but I think it's affected other users too.
Foresticia
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
When all the pictos are gathered up they usually spread on in a few minutes. It happens every time I log in ^^
Agenor
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hello anybody?
I had to load 3.21 and now I lost all my beautifull antlers and coats.
I see that other deer still have them. Was there a way to save them or do I have to get the spells again?

Sorry: I just saw that this was a subject somewhere else.
Jen
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Switching between versions causes your data to be erased. You could save the spelldata and move it over to the new version.
Michael
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Jen wrote:
Switching between versions causes your data to be erased. You could save the spelldata and move it over to the new version.

That does not always work because different versions of the client may be compiled with different versions of the game engine and because the format of the saved data sometimes changes (especially when things get added to it -so using old saved data can break new features).
Jen
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Mhmm, using old spelldata also has a tendency to make the game crash and glitch more as I've noticed.
capi94
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Um, hello. I'm a little new here, kinda. (I signed up a while ago but haven't been able to get on because I've been really busy with non-virtual life.)

Anyway, When I've been getting on lately no other deer or even their pictogram name thingies have been showing up. I made sure I was connected and logged in, and it says that there are players connected but they don't show up when I play (their names don't show up on the border either). So all I have to do all day is run around. It gets boring after a while.
Help? Just a little?
:.Custard.:
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
This happened exactly to me! And i only just fixed it last night! xD
Try right clicking the game and click where it says 'run as administrator'
That worked for me (however I have vista and not sure if you do) Have a go anyway! Goodluck! Wink
capi94
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Ok! I'll try it! Thanks!!