top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Immersion in the Sims

JPGInc
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about what made the sims such a great game that it was number 1 for a long time. And i thought to myself that you have these constant breaks in immersion in the sims.

With the sims how does the game work so well even though you have to stop the game to edit the world (when you buy furniture etc)? Does this take away from the immersion? Or does it add to the game play? In the expansions can you go to the store to buy your stuff? Would it be better if the game had allowed you to go to the store to buy the thing and take it home to place it wherever you want? Or would that take away from the main fun of the game and pausing the game to choose everything actually makes the game better?

I'm interested in your thoughts
path to home
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, what interests me personally is creating a house Smile

I made a pirate ship house!

I actually don't really like the work part Razz It would be ok i it were not for that silly *make friends or never be promoted* thing. I'm a bit introverted, therefore, so is my sim. We don't make friends very well Razz

You are actually bringing this conversation back to second life. There is no immersion for it, but the complete customization and imagination of the game makes people play it. A normal game, no matter how hard a programmer tries, will be linear to some extent. But add the ability to have control over your surroundings, and the game gets a lot better Smile
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
path to home wrote:
I actually don't really like the work part Razz It would be ok i it were not for that silly *make friends or never be promoted* thing. I'm a bit introverted, therefore, so is my sim. We don't make friends very well Razz

Hear hear. =/ I fail at maintaining friends that my sim doesn't live with.
Trinket
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:
path to home wrote:

I have my game edited so that my sims don't need friends to be promoted. -ducks and covers, waiting for Wildbluesun's 'frown upon'-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
path to home
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
FROWN!!

No, i mod my games too Razz

except i just mod it with more items so I can have a bit more to choose from Smile
Trinket
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I do that too, actually.

But I also use mods to make make, say, an army of Mrs. Crumblebottoms. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
path to home
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhhh!
Trinket
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I swear, she must have bricks in that purse or something.
path to home
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Dont you have a bed time old lady!! Laughing Laughing Razz
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Trinket wrote:
Wildbluesun wrote:
path to home wrote:

I have my game edited so that my sims don't need friends to be promoted. -ducks and covers, waiting for Wildbluesun's 'frown upon'-

I don't mind people modding their own games, but leeching off other people's work annoys me. Which is why spelldata sharing annoys me.

Where can I get that mod?
Trinket
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:

Where can I get that mod?

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43078
path to home
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
WHY! Why does everyone do this! you people must be superman to be able to read this stuff!
Trinket
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
path to home wrote:
WHY! Why does everyone do this! you people must be superman to be able to read this stuff!

Because it's fun. 8D You must either be superman or have some tricks up you sleeve to read it.
Bellamy
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Weeee
JPGInc
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
lol i dont even know how to change font size nvm i found it!!!!!! is there an end to the sims at all? like if you get to the highest promotion do you win? i recon a game with a definate end game goal is better...i wonder if you could make something with an end game goal that has
Quote:
the complete customization and imagination of the game makes people play it. A normal game, no matter how hard a programmer tries, will be linear to some extent. But add the ability to have control over your surroundings, and the game gets a lot better

like you could completely customise the game but there is an end to it if you choose to do it. That would give the game a lot more re-playability.