top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  A game idea I've had for a while.

Vrav
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
Aww, this is a rather good idea. It reminds me of The Little Prince.

A game I've been designing contains a similar world-regreening concept, which I think is awesome, and I love that you have also included such a theme.

Edit: The wild blue sun is also fond of that book? This makes me like him or her even more.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
The Wildbluesun thinks that book is entirely beautiful, and is very glad you now like her more. ^^

Large oak-like tree sounds lovely, but how would you find it again if you wandered away from it?

Perhaps there could be an option to turn and face it, in case of player lost-ness.
Hubalaboo
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Woah! I've missed a lot!

Trinket, thank you for reminding me about day and night! I will add the stuff about it in the main post.

Right now I don't really want weather changes... I don't really like the idea of some plants dying when it snowed, eg, because that sounds more... sad. On the other hand, it can make things interesting.
How about just rain, wind and fog/mist? Or there is snow, it just doesn't harm the plants, 'cuz they're magical! Wink

Old dead tree idea is great, those photos are very inspiring, Trinket. But-but-but before that-
I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THE FINDING PLACES PROBLEM!
*ahem* A compass! It has the usual needle pointing north, with N, S, E, W (except in strange symbols), and then it has a another needle with a vine picture on it that points to where you started in the game, the 'home' area of a bit of green.
This will allow the player to always be able to go back to the home area, so you don't have to worry when you go exploring. And the compass means you can draw a map easier.

I would like the old oak tree to not have a needle/marker from the beginning. You, as the character, have never been on the planet before. You must learn as you go, where things are (and the planet isn't that big either). After you find the oak, and inspect it and look at it, not just pass by it, a needle will be added to the compass with a picture of an oak leaf.
For now, those are the only needles/markers.
There will be PLENTY of landmarks and natural formations for you to remember the way to other places!

My posts are always long D:
So, tell me what you think of the compass, and please read the added part about day and night in the main post!
You guys are ALL awesome, thanks so much for encouraging me and saying suggestions like this ^.^
Trinket
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I think the compass idea is brilliant. Very Happy

I have a question about the map: How are you going to fill it out?

Will the player draw out the map themselves? It would of course be more interactive, but it could become a complication since it wouldn't be completely accurate. Then again, some people like a challenge like that.

Or, you could make it so whenever the avatar walks to an area it's automatically written accurately on the map. I used the play EverQuest 2 -kettle'd-, and when you went into a remote area that generally had little to no traffic they would do that with your map.

Edit: Ignore the map thing, I just reread your position on having a map. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TwoEars
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hubalaboo wrote:

Yes, I don't really want a style like Animal Crossing. Not the atmosphere I want. I want, as you say, a kind of poetic feel, calm, and you can take your time, but where you, as the player, can do something good for the planet. If I make this game successfully, maybe it'll let people think a bit more about our Earth and the condition it's in right now...

I do have a growing plant animation I made before, drawing frame by frame:

I don't have Flash, sadly. I used to have the demo.
Here are some plants/flowers I've modeled so far in Cinema4D:
A vine plant
A yellow flower bud. Or a fruit? xD
A mysterious blue flower... Maybe only blooms at night Wink
I have a mushroom, too, but I wanna fix it up a bit more...
I guess next is to try and model the character, and animate some actions. Then the first prototype, maybe being able to move the character around using arrow keys or something...

When I mentioned Animal Crossing, I mostly meant the nature of the characters, that is, not particularly realistic, but even more so I was thinking about the way the world rolls as you walk.

Ah, but that flower is brilliant! Frame by frame?! Surprised Very nice!

The 3D plants are awesome too, they have a forest-like feel to them even.

I can't wait to see more of your ideas! Keep going for it! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vrav
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
Your models are gorgeous, but there's a specific technique to modeling for games. The mesh has to be low-resolution, have a certain flow, and be UVW-mapped for texturing... I haven't had time to go and read the whole thread, but have you done any research on these things? I encourage you to study them. There is a lot to learn; if you want, maybe I could provide you with some links. Realtime graphics rendering... is different.
Sedna
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
wow i'm also working on a "make things green" game haha... we should all get together and chat sometime, sounds like there's a real interest in this sort of thing. thats so cool :3

my game is called "The Garden"
You are similarly transported to a gray, desolate area and your job is to replant the area.You play as a soul (Anima) that has the ability to take various animal Spirit forms (and with more gameplay, hybrid/mythic/elemental type forms).

Basically you go around levelling up your spirit form (and earning new ones) by planting, rebuilding, solving puzzles, interacting with other players, etc. the game is focused on using teamwork and social harmony to build interactive worlds together. there is some narrative stringing things together, but a great deal of the gameplay is determined by the individual.

it is also intended to carry an environmentally conscious message (we call it Ecogaming haha). Different wastelands you travel to are all analogous to actual environments on Earth, so the animal forms you earn and the plants you sow are true to nature. It is also supposed to preserve some of the culture of each region by taking inspiration from their artistic motifs, architecture, and folklore.

its a pretty big undertaking, and we have only been working on it since May of this year. we thought we had a great deal lined up with some programmers, but that fell through so it feels like we're back to square one. i've spent the summer building up a good team of supportive individuals and working out the concept (there's a lot more to it than i have time to write here) as well as doing some concept art. i'm primarily an artist, so its been a struggle making all the pieces fit.

i'd love to talk to you Hub sometime! its almost uncanny how some of our ideas line up, maybe we can help eachother brainstorm. i'll try to grab a few concept drawings to show here...
and your animation and models are great, i can't believe you're 13!
Wildbluesun
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Sedna.

YOU BETTER POST THAT WHEN IT'S DONE.
Hubalaboo
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Trinket and TwoEars: Thank you both Smile

Vrav: I am aware that the models need to be simpler and rougher to keep the game running smoothly and not be a huge file size, yes. I don't know a whole lot of detail about that stuff yet... But those models I wanted to look all nice and smooth, see, 'cuz they're for showing and all... I appreciate you pointing that out, though. But before I can even get to that stage I have some problems, later in this post...
Also, I'm curious about the world-regreening game you're working on! Any info you can share?

Sedna: That sounds awesome! I'd love to play that. It's great the concept is growing nowadays, maybe these games will cause some people to think more about our own Earth. I agree with WBS, YOU BETTER! Very Happy

Alright, here's some updates:

Right now I'm working on a simple 2d prototype using Scratch. Great to learn simple programming, and quite fun. I'll post it when it's done.

Now to the 3d stuff. My number 1 choice for the game engine is the Torque Game Engine; it's relatively cheap, but fits my game and I know how to use it a bit. The problem is, I cannot export Cinema 4d models directly into it because they haven't made (and probably never will) an exporting module for Cinema...
So I downloaded the free Blender, because then I could export from Cinema into Blender, then from Blender to Torque. But guess what? Materials (colors and textures) and most likely animations are lost when exported to Blender.
And-and-and Blender refuses to let me understand it. Laughing Seriously! I couldn't even figure out how to change the camera view at first. Everything is so confusing and tiny and unorganized in Blender... I guess because it's open source.
And Cinema was expensive, too! Gah... What am I going to do??
Crying or Very sad Maybe this game is hopeless after all...
Trinket
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Hubalaboo wrote:
And-and-and Blender refuses to let me understand it. Laughing Seriously! I couldn't even figure out how to change the camera view at first. Everything is so confusing and tiny and unorganized in Blender... I guess because it's open source.
And Cinema was expensive, too! Gah... What am I going to do??
Crying or Very sad Maybe this game is hopeless after all...

Don't think that! I suggest googling Blender tutorials or looking for a blog that reviews these type of programs.

P.S. I'm beginning to want to draw things from your game. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hubalaboo
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Trinket... I feel a bit better now. I know if I really try I can learn Blender... I'm just so disappointed that I can't export directly to Torque. Confused
Guess I've just got to learn Blender! Hard days ahead of me. But for now I'm concentrating on the 2d prototype, which is coming along. Smile
Quite busy actually, I'm writing a novel too...

Quote:
P.S. I'm beginning to want to draw things from your game. Laughing

*dies* Oh, please please do! Anyone is welcome to do so.
Which reminds me, I should do more concept art... Wink
Wildbluesun
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
...Don't add materials or animations until you get to Torque or Blender? o.O

I dunno. I guess you'll just have to figure out Blender. But from what I hear (which isn't much), it's pretty popular, so there should be lots of resources out there.
Hubalaboo
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...Don't add materials or animations until you get to Torque or Blender? o.O

I know. It's just, I can make materials so quickly in Cinema, but now I have to spend a whole bunch of time figuring out Blender. Things would be so much faster is all. Smile

Anyway! Guess what, I now have a title for my game: Grey to Green.

And then later I realised that, when you take the first letter of each word, that it becomes GtG. xD

'Nother quick and messy concept:

The home area, the little patch of green, where you start.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
D'aww. *huggles fox*

For some reason, I'm not so keen on Grey to Green, it sounds...trite? But I don't have any other suggestions, and it's your game.
Vrav
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
If you feel like doing a 2D game, check out Scirra's Construct. It's superb, developed my one guy, with frequent fixes and updates. There's a wiki, and the forums are very active.

Open source and free to license your own creations commercially if you choose.