top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Animation Tips for Beginners?

EternalWanderer
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Jun 2010 Posts: 31 Location: 5th Circle of Hell, -666th floor, 13th torture chamber, left cell
I'm not sure if this is the right forum/thread for this request, so if you know about a more appropriate one just redirect this topic to it.

My friend has been from long thinking about becoming something like an MMORPG or horror games designer. We share a fancy for art yet we have a very different style, which might be useful if one day we cooperate in the graphics making of... something. I'd also add we have quite some talent for our age. Twisted Evil

The only problem is, we never actually worked with an animation program. I animated a few frames at Flash Professional CS4, but only worked with the simple animations that I could learn on my own (which aren't many: "window" masks uniting layers, bone animations, text transforming into other text/objects). So I only know the basics and I don't think he knows much more.

So I was wondering, could someone give me some simple tips about starting a spare time animation carreer? Specially beneath these doubts:

Arrow Is Flash CS4 the best for a beginner? If not, what should I try...? Pivot...?
Arrow Are there any useful tutorial sites or video lessons about how to use the program suggested to the question above? Usually the ones in the official websites are really confusing and completly not adequate to newbies.
Arrow Any other useful tips have thee for me?
Michael
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
I'm a bit confused. You say you want to be game designers and then you ask questions about animation. The two are very different.
EternalWanderer
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Jun 2010 Posts: 31 Location: 5th Circle of Hell, -666th floor, 13th torture chamber, left cell
Ah right... I keep puzzling english terms Embarassed Could you write a detailed definition of both jobs please?
Michael
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
A game designer comes up with the idea for a game: the characters and the story, how to control the game, the goals, mechanics, puzzles, etc.

An animator creates the motions that a character (or other moving object) makes in a game. Usually these characters are made by another person, a modeler, and integrated into the game by a programmer.
EternalWanderer
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I think it's clear now. Honestly we were only thinking about working in small projects... At least for now, we are only creating short animations, and I guess we imagined we would be taking all the roles, because we aren't exactly thinking about our future or about working with a team. It's just a hobbie. So... I'll keep the original questions about programming&animating.