top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  What is the most popular genre?(AND OTHER)

Most Popular Genre

FPS  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Strategy  
100%
  [ 2 ]  100%

Adventure (3rd Person, like Path)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 2
Mayar
Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
As you possibly know, I design games...

But I really suck at modeling, animating, ... So, before I start assembling a team, I need to know the most popular genre...

AND IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN CREATING JUST A SMALL VERSION (15 min max), please contact me at major_slo@hotmail.com or PM me...

Anything else, there is a Poll at head...
Trinket
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
By most popular do you mean by the number of games in that genre or the most successful genere? Because I can assume most are FPS, but the most successful game of all time is The Sims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mayar
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
Most Sucsesfull genre...
Michael
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
If you are only talking about huge mega-hits, they tend to fall outside of genres or span over multiple genres, at least in the West (first Myst, later The Sims and Grand Theft Auto). In the east the RPG rules everything (Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest).

But if you are starting as a developer, aiming for a mega-hit is probably unrealistic. So it's probably a good idea to serve a niche market like the three genres that you mention. Any of those genres has a devoted group of followers. FPS is probably the most popular, but -as a result- the competition is fierce: there are very many FPS games. Strategy seems to be really focussed on some big titles, unless you're talking management games whose audience mostly depends on the subject matter, I would imagine. So again, competing is hard, unless you find original subject matter for a management game. Adventure is probably the easiest genre to compete in. But the market is smaller. We're still talking hundereds of thousands of people here, so that might be sufficient for your game.
Mayar
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Thanks Michael, Ill try to start with an adventure... Results soon...