top_image

<  Demo and feedback  ~  "The Perfect Color"

MoriartyL
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Here's my second computer game, made together with a talented young visual-artist living in Canada:

The Perfect Color

It's for Windows. If you're colorblind it might not be playable. Sorry.

Anyway. My first game (Smilie), which I made by myself, elicited some responses along the lines of "What's the point?". Which was fair, because there wasn't a point. Here there is a point. In point of fact, I started from the point and then tried to think of gameplay that would express it. You can let me know if I succeeded.
Lewis[Resolution]
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
I like this. Cute. Good work.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
I really liked this - pertinent point well communicated - until the chefs came on. Then I got a bit confused. I mean, right from the beginning I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to be able to make everyone happy (and beat the game?), but then, with chefs and toques and opinions and fans and those boxes with a (c) in the middle (I didn't get those), I lost sight of what I was meant to be doing and just closed the game.
MoriartyL
Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
You know what, I'm happy with that outcome. If you quit there, the metaphor -and therefore experience- is still intact. It's very easy to work on your own- sure, it takes a long time, but you're focused and understand everything. But when you move up in the world, and have to deal with lots of other people trying to work with you and a bigger number of people you're working for and more chaos and uncontrollable situations, you might give up.

So I don't think your quitting is a flaw in the game, necessarily- more like a side effect of the game which I didn't consider but find very interesting.

Regardless, I'll explain a bit of what's going on. The chefs try to help you out, but they're not exactly visionaries. They're more efficient than you are, but if you can't control them they'll mess up anything you try to do. Like any other person in the game, you can pick up a chef and throw him off the screen, which gets rid of him. (Throwing people around might take some practice, though.) The toques represent the professionalism that creators hide their opinions with- as long as it's there, the chef won't act on what he likes, only what he thinks other people will like. This can either be a good or a bad thing, depending on what your strategy is. The copyrighted boxes are the work which the chefs did before you came, because they haven't been wandering around doing nothing all this time. They don't think they need you, really.