top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  How to enjoy The Path? Please share tips

SkardJR
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Aug 2009 Posts: 10 Location: Somewhere in the COLLECTIVE SUBCONSCIOUS.
I know I might be a little behind on this but here's somethings I wanna share on how to enjoy this lovely game.

Be curious. Ask all sorts of questions, but don't let it stop you from playing the game. Just keep looking around, wondering what the next thing is at the far end of the corner. As someone else here said, "Stay in suspended disbelief" or something like that.

I came across this game while looking through GAMESPOT, and I saw this on the front page of the PC section. Seeing how it seems to revolve more on internal, psychological, and metaphorical things I was almost immediately hooked. I kept thinking, when searching through information about it "I want to play this game".

And when I did, my curiousity didn't stop there. I kept wondering what would happen if I stay on the path, what would happen if I strayed, what would happen if I came near that weird shiny thing in the middle of the misty lake (I can't even begin to understand what that even WAS Embarassed ), and so on.

Curiousity may have killed the cat but in this game, it doesn't hurt to be curious Wink
JackandBlood
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Intense, hour long meditation. Alternativly MDMA or equivalent, or just get shit faced. Im not trying to undermine this game, this is just one of very few games that require a certain state of mind to appreciate. Or you could get bored with the game and pass that negative noticn to your othersl
Mythril
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
Hey, I bought this game on Steam (yup, the Indie bundle), but Steam doesn't seem to have the user manual anymore... Is this intended? Can I download the manual from your website anywhere? Question

The biggest reason I wanted to find it is because this thread suggests that I should read the manual to get the most out of this game. I found the Red girls' Livejournals at least...
Alex H
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Mythril wrote:
Hey, I bought this game on Steam (yup, the Indie bundle), but Steam doesn't seem to have the user manual anymore... Is this intended? Can I download the manual from your website anywhere? Question

The biggest reason I wanted to find it is because this thread suggests that I should read the manual to get the most out of this game. I found the Red girls' Livejournals at least...

There's no manual, at least, not that I know of.
If you know what the game's trying to achieve and keep an open mind, you'll probably be fine.
In doubt, just read this:
http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/2009/06/16/how-to-play-the-path/
Emriss
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Mythril wrote:

In addition to Alex's suggestion, you can also go to grandmothers-house.net to get to know the characters a little better, and The Path homepage (tale-of-tales.com/thepath), scroll down, and read the paragraphs on the girls (the one your first see will stay for a while, then fade out and be replaced by a different Red).
Mythril
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I think I got the gist of the gameplay. It's just confusing that I've seen a couple of places mention a manual for this game, but couldn't find it. But yeah, I guess it's not really important.
badsykes
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Hello all.
I really think one should be a dreamy style first.For example logical people will not enjoy this game.The problem with them is they face very unknown teritories that are beyond their control.The mind is by far the most scarriest thing that i ever met.I am scared also when i walk the streets and someone can beat me in any moment but the mind is all time with.All my life (25 years) i was being in depression and i had deep episodes.In every normal moment of your life your mind generate deep, overwhelming feelings and when you go to sleep i usually dream so real and powerfull and very overwhelming and dramatic episodes.There were periods when i didn't feel secure anywhere and also my dreams presented me with some state of mind.In time naturally i begin to enjpy quiet moments MORE than anything.Noone around me could help because they couldn't understand all this.Society don't teach people how to deal with this.There are some things that made my mind quiet (this was discovered the hard way).Forests, waterfalls or just the sound of water/rivers,being somewhere lonely with less people.Normal and happy people will not understand the big "horror" in minds of some of us.I also end talking very metaphorically, spontaniously and this is a very natural reflex now.I impress even myself many times.
In other words to make people understand why one girl(ruby) say"there is more beauty in rust than in paint" you need a life experience or a very powerfull and different situation.I have big communication problems with my parents especially with my dad that is very logical, analitic.In time i learned that my mind becomes too philosophical,metaphorical and when i speak to him like this his head can't comprehend so i need to drop down and stay at his level of mind.I tried to present some things of my past and make an image for others to present their things.
If you give me 10-15 people to test them if they can p.lay this game i can do that but to convert the ones that don't fit this style of mind it will take a bigger deal of time and their "intelectualization"/logical brain will enter in a big defense..This is the biggest problem in this matter.This is open minded.
Your public for this game is imo:
- art people (all of them will understands)
- people in need for silence and other intangible things that the society can't give to them in their situation
- people that passed/continue some mental abnormality (from society point of view) and they can't absorb them.So instead of ending their life they just search for other ways to bypass their problems.
- poets,writers (i suppose the horror ones will understand best what's here)
- Exceptions from other categories..
Tails1942
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Mythril wrote:
Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I think I got the gist of the gameplay. It's just confusing that I've seen a couple of places mention a manual for this game, but couldn't find it. But yeah, I guess it's not really important.

There is a manual? it was with my game (mac version)...

and look what I've found on steam!: http://store.steampowered.com/manual/27000/

You're welcome ^^ Razz
Mythril
Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Tails1942 wrote:

Doesn't seem to work for me... because I'm in Europe? Because I'm not "logged in" to the Steam site? Hum... Oh well, I already "finished" the game anyways.
Tails1942
Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Mythril wrote:
Tails1942 wrote:

Doesn't seem to work for me... because I'm in Europe? Because I'm not "logged in" to the Steam site? Hum... Oh well, I already "finished" the game anyways.

I'm from europe... I ain't logged into steam? :S

Maybe because you need a pdf reader?
QXD-me
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
It doesn't work for me when I click on it, but I can 'right click' 'save target as'.
Michael
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
The manual comes with the game.
On Windows it's installed automatically, with a link in the Programs menu.
On Mac you have to drag it out of the .dmg folder.
Mythril
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't find it in my start menu, or even in the game folder on my HD. But right-clicking on the above link and saving did work. Thanks! I'll see if I will try to play more... but I've got tons of other games waiting to be played.
Razz
Michael
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Mythril wrote:
Couldn't find it in my start menu, or even in the game folder on my HD.

So where did you buy your copy of the game? Shocked
QXD-me
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I got mine from steam and couldn't seem to find it.... There again, if the manual was installed somewhere other than the steam folder it may have got lost during the transfer to my new computer.