top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  144 introduction

Michael
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
We haven't announced this project before because we were uncertain about the scheduling of it. But now that we have received some funding from Creative Capital, it has been bumped up the list.

144 will be a horror game. We can't say much about it yet because the design is not finished. You're probably going to play Little Red Ridinghood in it. And it will take place in a forest (without deer, this time) and in "grandmother's house" (which might not be what you expect). 8's Little Deaf Mute Girl will be there as well. And a wolf. I don't think there will be a hunter, since that was a later addition to the tale. But it will be very very creepy Confused Confused Shocked Twisted Evil Embarassed , true to the atmosphere of the older stories.

144 will be a single player game. And a relatively short/small one at that. We hope to release it by the end of the year. Shocked But yeah, we'll see. Wink Oh, and, with 144 you'll finally get the opportunity to reward us for our efforts! It will not be free. Cool

144 will be developed hand in hand with an internal research and development project called Drama Princess. More about that later and elsewhere.
Kastanok
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, old style fairy tales. *Makes a note to read up on the original Grimm story - if that is indeed the original?*. If you guys do creepy as well as you do awesome and beautiful, w're in for a chilling time. Razz The key to this, of course, is in the sound which we haven't seen(?) much of in Endless Forest.

End of the year? Should have more than a few pennies by then, I hope. Fingers crossed.
Michael
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Fairy tales do not have "originals". They are tales that are passed on over the generations, at first orally and later through written texts. Every storyteller changes the story a little bit. The Grimm brothers were only one link in this chain. In fact, they cleaned up a lot of folk tales to make them suitable for children. The older versions are often a lot more disturbing.
And also a lot less sexist since they were often stories told by women to women. I believe the (male) hunter is an addition of the Grimm brothers. Before that, Little Red Ridinghood saves herself from the Wolf. Sur la lune is a very good resource for fairy tales and their historic (and critical) context.

We have our eye ear on a very interesting composer for this! She has accepted to work with us on this before, informally. But we want to wait until he does so formally before we announce it.
Kastanok
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah. I sit corrected.

Thanks for the link. Very informative.
insane_cobra
Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
In fact, they cleaned up a lot of folk tales to make them suitable for children. The older versions are often a lot more disturbing.
There's a quite chilling version of the tale in Neil Gaiman's The Doll's House (Sandman book 2). Even if it's Gaiman's reimaging, it feels much closer to what I believe the original tale must have been like.

Great news about 144, we're waiting...
Contina
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:04 am Reply with quote
Sounds nice; a good horror game is always fun. The idea of a game with Little Red Riding Hood sounds interesting. Having heard and seen many versions of the tale, it'd be nice to see a new twist, seemingly more true to the orignial then the watered-down versions of stories children are told today.

At any rate...I'll be looking out for this one.
Anduin
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote
Oh dear... I spook at my own shadow, so I probably won't be playing this game.... Confused I apologize if this has been answered before, but is there a reason why the game is named a number?
Michael
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
We started using numbers as titles when making "8". The main reason then is that we weren't using any language in the game and a number was as far away from language we could get for a title. It didn't need translation. It was also the time when the trend of prequels started. So we mocked that trend by starting with 8 and then jumping to 144. And then there the idea of calling it "Tale 144" or "Tale of Tales #144" after the tradition of numbered stories in old texts like Decamerone and Arabian Nights.

As for 144, we still consider it a working title. We may change it to something more meaningful at some point.
ionicwings
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
i hope you can create a creepy online game (MMO). there are really few online games with these kind of genre and it can be a hit. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote
We'd love that too. But 144 will be a single player game.
It is possible, however, that some elements from 144 will "visit" The Endless Forest at some point... Smile
Harlequinn
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
however, that some elements from 144 will "visit" The Endless Forest at some point... Smile

oh my... i was never afraid of horror in games until i played a point and click game called "siren 2" on a website. when i saw the fiirst one on the shelves for...PS2 i believe, i thought it would be a very fun game and i was all dissapointed i didnt have a ps2.
but after playing that other one i was not dissapointed anymore. Confused if you're in a dark room with a piddly little flashlight and you hear groaning and see something moving in the corner, do NOT shine your flashlight on it, AND TURN THE GAME OFF. Shocked

hopefully none of that will be in the forest, i'm actually looking forward to seeing what may be in the forest. hopefully nothing to creepy that will jump out at me Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Michael
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Nono. The Forest will always remain safe. Smile

And 144 The Path will be a very "moody" game and not one continuously filled with anxiety and fear.
twins
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
I'm also really interested by the music mixing bit. Many movies, and now games, make effective use of "incidental music", and some games do even work at making the transitions between different musics and moods in an actually musical way, as opposed to quick fades or just cuts. Sounds like you're going for a more wholistic approach, where the music is sort-of composed by the action, as opposed to just directed by it.

Almost entirely unrelated comment :
The problem with computer games as artistic medium is that they preclude a lot of the usual bits of art practice: it'd be interesting to see some "sketches" or "studies" of a few elements of your works, sort of bare-bones platforms to test how a concept applies or is realised in actual game/program context, before the work is revealed as a cohesive, though often still developing whole. Easy with a painting, not so with a game (the term used loosely). I love that we ARE able to see some of this in the staggered ways your works develop and are then presented, like with the stages of the forest, and demo exhibitions of 8 etc.

I think what that entire bit was supposed to say was that the trailer looked hawt, can't wait to see it exhibited, or even sold in Electronics Boutique! (Your intention to broaden your audience by packaging like a conventional game tickles me... i'm sure for those who survive the no doubt steep learning-curve-mental-shift, a whole new way of looking at 'games' will result.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote
Thank you.

The main concept of the music in The Path was to have only music and no sound effects. To achieve some of the eerie effect of silent movies. I think as a whole, ultimately, it will feel more like an interactive music video.

It's sometimes difficult to decide what to show of our work and what not. We don't want to ruin to games' chance of surprising you and we don't want to create false expectations.
But we come from web 1.0 where sharing was the normal way to do things. So it comes natural to us. It's good to hear it's being appreciated.

As for the learning curve, the only thing that people sometimes have a problem with (also in The Endless Forest), is that they don't understand that they don't need to do anything. There is no mission or goal. And definitely no punishment for not accomplishing something. Other than that, we strive to make our games as accessible as possible.
twins
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, i realize i'm not telling you anything new, but i think out loud (That phrase feels awkward when translated to a text medium)

Michael in the post right above this one said:
Quote:
the only thing that people sometimes have a problem with... is that they don't understand that they don't need to do anything. There is no mission or goal. And definitely no punishment for not accomplishing something
there's that curve: how long the average player who is used to conventional structures of either narrative or gameplay will go without blowing something up or being given a quest before they decide to think laterally or try engage with the game in a different way, or quit in search of something more explodey or quest-y. I think an average player, should such thing exist, is still some distance from easily connecting with an alternative game experience. Still, that's where Tale of Tales comes in, isn't it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger