top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  144 introduction

Michael
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
We do think it is important that there is something to do in a game (even if I would like to experiment with virtual worlds where there is nothing to do at all, where it is only about being).

We just don't think that the things that you do should be structured in a game-like way. Instead of problem-solution-reward structures, we like to skip to the reward part immediately, perhaps. Or create problems without solutions?...

The thing is that we don't start from the idea that we're making a game per se. We start with an idea of an atmosphere, a kind of story (though not linear) that we're trying to tell, how we want people to feel. And the interaction design needs to express this. If this narrative is best expressed through game-like activity, then we design that. If not, then we design some other type of (inter)activity.

This may all seem weird and abstract in theory, but as many people who have played The Endless Forest can testify, in practice there's noting problematic about it. We get the most extreme objections from people who have not played our games, who judge only the theory (which probably suffers from a lack of vocabulary).
Sonaa
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
The trailer is incredible! I really enjoyed it.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Michael wrote:
(which probably suffers from a lack of vocabulary).

The limits of my language are the limits of my world.

...How come I can never remember who said all the random sayings I spout? o.0
evolcdc
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
As a fairly competent Blender Modeler, I wonder if you all are looking for any donated time? I am interested in embedding myself a bit more into the serious gaming world and how I can push it as a facet of my artwork. Figure a good place to start is with a group who is breaking the mold.
chris
Michael
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the offer.
We're not just breaking the mold, I'm afraid. We also have unusual and insane demands and expectations! Twisted Evil
But please send us a link to your portfolio.
Eden
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
Actually, I wouldn't mind writing a piece of music for this- I know you already have a composer, but maybe just one piece?
I don't have access to my portfolio of pieces at the moment, but what sort of music are you looking for? What mood? What feeling?
It'd just be something fun for me to work on as stress relief from my own projects Razz

(note: I'm edenb- but I've lost access to that account through forgetting my password and having to delete my former email account. Ah well!)
Lyrak
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
Eden wrote:
Actually, I wouldn't mind writing a piece of music for this- I know you already have a composer, but maybe just one piece?
I don't have access to my portfolio of pieces at the moment, but what sort of music are you looking for? What mood? What feeling?
It'd just be something fun for me to work on as stress relief from my own projects Razz

(note: I'm edenb- but I've lost access to that account through forgetting my password and having to delete my former email account. Ah well!)

More music people? You, me, and alpha. lol

And I seem to be best at creepy stuff too... I think because it's usually extremely simplistic.
Sirocco
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
If you're looking for scary sound FX, play the game Project Zero 2 - Voted the scariest game of all time after psychological tests proved it!
LOTS of scary sounds in there - BRR... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Eden wrote:
what sort of music are you looking for? What mood? What feeling?

Jarboe!
A complex and sticky mix of love, fear, violence, horror, sensuality and kindness. We really chose to work with Jarboe very specifically. Because of the kind of music she makes.

Eden wrote:

Feel free.
But we're really quite obsessive about this so please don't take it personally if we can't use your work.
(though I am very curious to hear what you come up with -I didn't know you made music as well)
Michael
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Sirocco wrote:
If you're looking for scary sound FX, play the game Project Zero 2 - Voted the scariest game of all time after psychological tests proved it!
LOTS of scary sounds in there - BRR... Shocked

Project Zero is a big inspiration for us.
But The Path contains no sound effects. Only music.
Eden
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote
Hm, we'll see.
I like Jarboe's work! It's pretty cool.
Lyrak
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
http://www.geocities.com/jedi_jarjar_binks/creepy.mp3

(only posting the mp3 version up... recording was done on a cheap mic directly from my keyboard speakers, since I currently don't know how else to get the instruments to sound true to what they should be otherwise... I have a midi version too that's cleaner, but the instruments are a bit off so it doesn't sounds quite as it was intended... if anybody cares to hear more I'm afraid I'll only be able to upload midis for the most part because my connection hates me for trying to upload the mp3s. lol)

*wants to hear some of eden's music as well*
Michael
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
Very nice, Lyrak!
Reminds me of the music for the Halloween movie. Shocked
Lyrak
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Very nice, Lyrak!
Reminds me of the music for the Halloween movie. Shocked

Yeah it's weird... I was never big on horror movies, but I do good creepy music because it's all simple, and I seem to like to do things in minor keys. And play with things that switch metween major and minor, because it toys with people's heads. I haven't done much with the switching yet though. I'm an amateur at best. XD
alpha
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Yay! More music people! Surprised

Never heard of Jarboe. Had to get up and dance to A Womans Dreams.