top_image

<  Demo and feedback  ~  "The March of Bulk"

MoriartyL
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I finished a third computer game recently, and I figured I ought to post it here even though I haven't been around for a while, both because my two previous games (Smilie and The Perfect Color) were here and also because this particular game was inspired to a large degree by The Graveyard.

Anyway, it's called The March of Bulk, and it looks something like this:

(That's taken from a screenshot.)

Here's a direct link to the game:
http://www.thebuckmans.com/mory/Bulk.exe

At the moment it's only available for Windows.

Play around with it, and let me know what you think!
Emriss
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Didn't get much of a sense of 'weight' out of it. When the elephant leaped forward, there was no indication of preparation in the back leg. I think if there was some sort of split-second bending and push-off before it actually jumped, then the conceptual weight would've been more evident.

I liked the way it was drawn. I'd gladly play an entire game made with that sort of casual, sketchy art. Smile
MoriartyL
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Emriss wrote:
Didn't get much of a sense of 'weight' out of it.

The line about weight was actually a little bit of a joke. Obviously everything worth doing in the game goes completely against the sense of weight.
Emriss
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, my bad. Confused

Not sure what else to say about it; not sure what sort of feedback you're looking for.
EternalWanderer
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Jun 2010 Posts: 31 Location: 5th Circle of Hell, -666th floor, 13th torture chamber, left cell
Hmm... The earthquake thingy... You could turn that into a really funny animation! (It already is, I just mean you could add more funny quotes or movements Smile )
Say, the elephant descending from the sky with butterfly wings? Laughing
MoriartyL
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ah, you found the earthquake thingy! Very good. I must confess I have no idea what's going on there. It seemed to make some sort of sense at the time... Very Happy
Who?
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Dec 2011 Posts: 12 Location: Hm... under your bed? N'ah, I'm in Ireland.
Ah, I really love your games! So does my cousin, she was playing "The Perfect Color" for ages!! Keep making them, they are wonderful! Laughing
MoriartyL
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks! I have to admit I didn't expect much of a reaction to the games I've made. The little games I've made so far are mainly ways for me to hone my skills for later. The first project which I actually anticipate people other than me caring about is the one I'm working on now, so I guess you'll probably enjoy that. It's called Gamer Mom, it's about a dysfunctional family, and Kyler and I have been working on it for a little over a year now. It should be finished in a few months. It's nice to know I'll have at least one person out there who's likely to be interested.
Who?
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Dec 2011 Posts: 12 Location: Hm... under your bed? N'ah, I'm in Ireland.
MoriartyL wrote:
Wow, thanks! I have to admit I didn't expect much of a reaction to the games I've made. The little games I've made so far are mainly ways for me to hone my skills for later. The first project which I actually anticipate people other than me caring about is the one I'm working on now, so I guess you'll probably enjoy that. It's called Gamer Mom, it's about a dysfunctional family, and Kyler and I have been working on it for a little over a year now. It should be finished in a few months. It's nice to know I'll have at least one person out there who's likely to be interested.

Oh, I am very interseted! Send me a PM if you make another one, I would be delighted to see it. I'd love to be able to make 2D-kind games, but I work with Unity and am a fail at programming XD What program do you use, if you don't mind me asking? :oops:
MoriartyL
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The games I've made so far, I made with BlitzMax. I wouldn't exactly recommend it, because I find the language to be occasionally buggy and frustrating, but it more or less works for me. It's based on BASIC, and I used to mess around with QBasic and Visual Basic all the time when I was little. So it's comfortable for me, for now.

For Gamer Mom, since it's intended for a wider audience, I'm programming in HTML5, Javascript and CSS. (I've gained some experience with web programming from doing all sorts of bizarre things with my blog over the past few years.) I put in an exceedingly simple script that resizes the game to the size of the browser window, so that it's almost like a fullscreen application. Actually, everything in Javascript is ridiculously simple compared to other languages. But again, I don't think I'd exactly recommend it. In certain ways, the web strains to keep up with how people are using it because these are languages designed for much simpler things. In retrospect, I should have used Adobe Flex. I chose HTML5 over the more established language because I liked the idea of working in a language I already (to a certain extent) knew, and because I was worried Flash was on its way out due to opposition from Apple and Microsoft. (I expect and intend for the game to be playable on any up-to-date systems, PC and phone alike.)
atomtengeralattjaro
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey,
the elephant movement thingy is cool, but i wasn't really drawn by it.. (and i have to admit it reminded me of the ingenious QWOP Razz )
But I really liked Smiley, and I too urge you to keep making games Smile