top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Do games make you cry?

Michael
Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
riaz wrote:
What is the difference between a great gaming (interactive) experience and a commercially viable one.

I'm not really in a position to answer this question. Our job is to design an environment where people can have a nice experience. We try to do this in a way that appeals to as large a portion of the group of people we have chosen as our target audience.
Also, I don't think that there is (or should be) such a thing as a "commercially viable experience". The experience is one thing. It is something an individual player feels and cannot be quantified. The product is another. The product should be commercially viable, I think, because otherwise you are being wasteful with money.
But whether are not a game sells well, depends not only on game design.

riaz wrote:
p.s. I just found out about your game and have read EVERYTHING on the site. I am very impressed with your vision and am excitedly waiting (for 2007) to see what you guys come out with.

Smile Smile Smile
Thank you for your interest, Riaz.
rinku
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
As best I recall games have only made me cry through their stories, not the actual game. I.e. the parts I cried at are parts that happen *every time* one plays through the game, rather parts of the game I had influence over.

This is a good test for when games have reached their next level, actually. Not a completely objective test but a more personal test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Anduin
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
I apologize for reviving old threads, but I think this is an interesting question.

I cry for things like... seeing mistreated animals and children on the TV, or seeing something amazing- someone's life being changed by an assistance dog or the gift of medical help they couldn't afford. I don't cry for movies or video games... ever. LOL.

But, I do think games and movies should attempt to touch you. I remember playing Ico the first time and being hit with the realization of what I was fighting near the end (I won't spoil it for anyone), or Wander's attempts to get to Mono at the end of Shadow of the Colossus (and the horrible separation between main character and "sidekick" in both games mentioned). I love those games... that is, the emotion in them. They don't try and force you to feel sad or anything, they just let what is there go and let you decide how you feel about it.

Actually, it's hard to explain. Wink
TheGee
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Hm, hard to say ... this thread took me long to answer.

Well, games sumtimes can make me cry. I guess you have to seperate between crying cuz of frustration (losing, ...) or cuz of the content and the story/things happening.

Both happened to me already. While the 1st one (loosing) more or less used to happen when I was younger and is nowadays nearly gone (tho it still frustrates me) the second one was there, is there and will be there (hopefully) forever.

Like I said in another post already I think that every game has the potential to make you cry. It depends largely on you - what you asocite with the story [..] or in what mood you are ... and of cource it depends on how you allow the game to reach you. If you clearly keep it at distance and just "play" it without getting deeper into it you probably won't cry. If you let the game "collect" you it can move you / your feeling very strong and make you cry.

I am sure that even the forest has the potential to make sumone cry, but of happy reasons (mostly).

I stated the ability to cry because of games as good, cuz it shows that you actually are not just a gaming machine that uses to mechanically play it, finish it and done but you try to connect yourself with the story and stuff ... I like that
Moogie
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I have shed a tear over two games.

The first, the most obvious, was of course FFVII. That occured both through cinematics and the cutscene afterwards with the real ingame graphics. I think that scene was done beautifully; especially as the main character barely had time to grieve before being assaulted once again by the antagonist and forced to battle while his friend lay there dead.

The second, believe it or not, was during the end of Black & White; your creature realises that the only way to defeat the enemy is through ultimate sacrifice. There is nothing you can do to stop him running off... even though the game lets you try. I remember tugging on his leash so hard... "don't go..!" Sad That moment, although it ends happily, really gripped me, because of the time and care I had invested in raising my unique pet.
Yavor
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
For me games that have touched me really are Brothers in Arms(as one of my squad dies, and its just the environment of the 40s and war that is so amazing), Call of Duty(in big battles like the one of El Alamein where so many people fight, defend and die and ... win) Also the music of WW2 games usually is very touching, awakens pride and honour.
Others games, lets see... also how was it... pfff, the game where you begin as a boy and your village is attacked, family s killed and your sister is kidnapped and you can be evil or good. It is a really nice game, i was felt sad in the end, when i got rid of the bad guy, cause the game was over, i couldnt evolve more, go to more places...etc.

Anyway Razz, tnx for reading. Cheers
opale12
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
Yavor wrote:
Others games, lets see... also how was it... pfff, the game where you begin as a boy and your village is attacked, family s killed and your sister is kidnapped and you can be evil or good. It is a really nice game, i was felt sad in the end, when i got rid of the bad guy, cause the game was over, i couldnt evolve more, go to more places...etc.

hum hum! You mean Fable! Right? omg I was about to talk about Fable 2, then I read your post XD

ok... I never cried for any game... for movies, yes! movies are touching, realistic, with real people. but games...

I think the ONLY game that could make me cry is Fable 2. OK, I know, it's not in stocks yet but anyway. You start as a boy or girl with a dog... YES, a dog. This dog is with you all the game, he helps you to kill monsters, he sits near your feet when you sit, he plays with you, he shows you where to go, if you're good, he'll become all cute and fluffy, if you're bad, he'll become big and dangerous... you can shoot him to death, he will follow you, you can run 15 kilometers, even if he has a broken leg, he will follow you...

and then POOF!!! He is killed Crying or Very sad (i'm not sure if he dies, this is what they say)

I know it is a virtual dog but wouldn't you AT LEAST be sorry for him?
Sarah
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Aug 2007 Posts: 1135 Location: Standing amidst the glowing fireflies in the dim twilight.
Beautiful games can make me cry. Like the Endless Forest... it's really a beautiful thing.

(I can't believe I just said that. I've changed so much since I've joined this forum...)
Michael
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Sarah wrote:
I've changed so much since I've joined this forum...

This is completely off topic, and I'd understand if you don't feel like answering, but I'm curious: how did you change?
Sarah
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Aug 2007 Posts: 1135 Location: Standing amidst the glowing fireflies in the dim twilight.
Michael wrote:
This is completely off topic, and I'd understand if you don't feel like answering, but I'm curious: how did you change?

I don't know... I just feel different. Like I have more worldly experience from listening to other peoples' opinions, from debating, from just sharing thoughts and talking with others. And the way I talk now... It's more detailed, I can say it more easily, I make more sense.... It's like a wall has been broken between me and the world. Not that I was a shy loser before I came here. But the welcoming forum community here has really touched me and made me feel like a part of a greater picture. I mean listen to my more recent posts, and compare them to my first post, and you'll see the difference. It's quite amazing.
Michael
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Amazing what a little "unexpected kindness from strangers" can do. Surprised
Sarah
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Amazing what a little "unexpected kindness from strangers" can do. Surprised

I used to not know completely what that meant, not experiencing that "unexpected kindness from strangers", but since coming here and hearing you say it, I now understand. Because I have now experienced it. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Michael
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
It's why I love the internet. Smile
Sarah
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
It's why I love the internet. Smile

Yes, the Internet is a wonderful, great thing, if used correctly. It makes the world seem small. The things you can access on the Internet..... In some ways, the Internet seems close-knit to me. Like hundreds of people from different countries go to the same websites. That's amazing...
Michael
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
It allows you to form communities voluntarily, with people who share your interests. There's a danger in this, though. Being in communities with only people you like can lead to a decrease in one's capability to deal with people who are diffferent, from diffferent cultures, with different tastes.

The concept of culture, however, maybe undergoing some serious changes due to the new types of communities that emerge on the internet. Perhaps cultures will stop being location-based at some point.