top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Do games make you cry?

opale12
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
It allows you to form communities voluntarily, with people who share your interests. There's a danger in this, though. Being in communities with only people you like can lead to a decrease in one's capability to deal with people who are diffferent, from diffferent cultures, with different tastes.

The concept of culture, however, maybe undergoing some serious changes due to the new types of communities that emerge on the internet. Perhaps cultures will stop being location-based at some point.

wow... that is... true Razz

coming back to games that make you cry... has anyone here heard of Eternal Sonata? a game that will come out in september? No? well I will buy it... the story is so sad... you already know from the start all the sadness that resides in the world of the game...

look here: http://eternalsonata.namcobandaigames.com/

watch the trailer... Crying or Very sad (gallery section) I also love the music of chopin put on the site Laughing
Sarah
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Aug 2007 Posts: 1135 Location: Standing amidst the glowing fireflies in the dim twilight.
Michael wrote:
Being in communities with only people you like can lead to a decrease in one's capability to deal with people who are diffferent, from diffferent cultures, with different tastes.

I'm not sure, but in a little while I think I might be able to relate to that. Many of you have seen how I handle TEF-haters. Sad
BeanBean
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Nov 2007 Posts: 123 Location: Stealing a Vampires Virginity ;)
for me it depends on the story and characters if the story is powerful and characters beleiveable and you grow attached to them and something bad happens in the story i tend to get real pissed and destroy every enemy on the game and then i feel a little better games that have made me shed a tear....a single tear remember have to be
final fantasy 7 aeris dying ugh i felt a huge lump in my throat and i just murdered sephy at the end
halo 3...when you see the sarge die and cortana in pain made me wanna kick some ass
Anomalocaris
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
I just played Passage. It's a 5-minute game that apparently has moved people to tears. Try it - like someone wrote, it offers much emotion for few pixels.

However it didn't get close to making me cry, as a few films or books might. Or this beautiful song, Kilkelly. What's the difference? I think perhaps Passage, although strong, is a little too abstract, too button-pushing-y, too score-keeping and with fewer touching details. It doesn't have Robbie O'Connell's voice, either.

So, I believe for a game to make you cry, it would probably need to drop many typical game elements (score, attention to manipulation of the game), would have something important to say, something you can relate to, in a touching way (most often: with concrete details), and nice aesthetics help...
Michael
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
I agree. It's somewhat of a pet peave of mine, in fact. Embarassed

I think that Passage is an experiment in trying to have game rules themselves be expressive, without resorting too much to all the other things that computers do so well (sounds, graphics, etc). I think it's a bit silly to limit interaction to game rules. But perhaps that's a game in and of itself.
Chentzilla
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
And if not, don't you think they should? At least sometimes?

Don't know if it fits, but when people talk about strong emotions invoked by games, I always recall my experience with Fallout. I was playing late at night. My character was captured by the super-mutants, and their commander demanded me to tell where my people were hiding, stopping only to beat me some more. The irony was that, even if I tried to escape, I still couldn't do what I should do in time. So I decided to give up and tell him.
What followed was a cinematic of my character dipped into mutagen and presumably turning into a mutant (probably as a foreshadowing of what would happen to my people). And then the mutants assaulting the vault, shown through a security camera view, until one of them clubs the Vault Overseer from the back... then everything fades into white (you know how in Fallout, they do fade-outs into white instead of black).
So I was shaking. I was really feeling that I've done the terrible thing. Of course, that was mostly due to an un-interactive reel, but also because I had a choice and actively failed those who were depending on me. Remember, I was in a lose-lose situation.

If you haven't played Fallout or haven't seen this ending, you can watch it here, but it sure doesn't have that impact when watched on its own. It probably also was important that at that time I was acquainted with the super-mutants and knew that turning into one wasn't a very desirable fate.
squeegie
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever cried during a game. But there were a few times where I got emotional. x3

Half Life 2 episode 2... Sad The ending was so sad! I'm not going to say what happened or I'll ruin the game. But it was very unexpected and just...:c
Bellamy
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
indirect spoilers ahead, maybe

Well to be honest... the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4 had me burying my face in my hands because I did not want my brothers to see/hear that I was seriously crying my face off. I was so surprised of myself I kept wondering wtf was I doing being so emotional. >>
Chainsawkitten
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever cried when playing a game. I've been emotionally touched, but never to the point of crying. I'd like to play some really captivating game but I havn't really stumbled upon one yet.

I think video games have the capability to be really emotive, and I believe that there will be more exampels of this when the medium evolves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mayar
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
I made (!) a tear, when ME was over... and in Far Cry, when I had to kill my budddy...

Que Serra, serra...
Ravenflight
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
squeegie wrote:

Half Life 2 episode 2... Sad The ending was so sad! I'm not going to say what happened or I'll ruin the game. But it was very unexpected and just...:c

Indeed, made me get teary eyed
Nafka
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
I think games should make you cry sometimes. If it is called for.
The end of Half Life2 Episode2 made me cry. I think it shows it is not only a good game but has a great story.
mondehre
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
My first post here on the forum, because this is something that I find very important in a game. Usually those games that manage to make me cry have a very well written and dramatic story. In most instances I cry because something is just plain moving, or beautiful, or dramatic, full of emotion. Usually those are the games I find best - rare Jewels, indeed...

Games that made me use a lot of paper-towels:
- Syberia is a fantastic game that made me cry. There were so many moments and situations that I found very moving. And the game itself has let me think about it for weeks. Who is Kate? Who are the other persons - Hans and his passion for the mammoths? What may be symbolized by the mammoths? What may be the meaning of the ending? Very moving indeed and metaphorical! Benoit Sokal and Microids really did a great job.
- I found the Witcher also very moving. The Designers did a great job in writing such a dramatic and moving story with many emotional situations and clever twists and turns. I remember the scene when defeating Dagon I got a sword (dont remember its name) by the Lady of the Sea - sooooo beautiful and moving, made me cry straightaway. And also in the end, when Geralt came into that safehouse in the war-torn city of Wyzima, where I met all those people I had helped during the previous chapters (even the speaking Ghoul I spared out of mercy in the graveyard). I found it very emotional to meet them all again.
Poprocks311
Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I have infact cryed at a game, not in frustration either. Some games just immerse you enough in them that when it finally ends you wish that it was longer. That or the game has an extreamly sad point for a character you feel the most connected to in the game. At least thats how I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
enkephalin07
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I admit it, there are a few rare ones that'll bring tears to my eyes. Planescape: Torment has more of those moments than perhaps any other story. Silent Hill 2 and 4, The Witcher, others that don't come to mind atm.

Half-Life Episode 2 didn't make me cry, even though the scene was very well done, it just seemed like a manipulative stunt after hours of gameplay and narrative that kept the character emotionally distant -- it just couldn't have touched Gordon or me. Merle Dandridge breaking up in the commentary got to me, though.