top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  A game concept (half a concept)

atomtengeralattjaro
Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Hi, everyone! I'm making a game (or notgame, not sure yet) and I'm asking for your opinions and ideas Smile

(Untitled project)

This will be a 2D game, where the world will be viewed from above. Everything will be hand-drawn (not mouse-drawn), by pen or pencil. No effects or DirectX or fancy things, just some animated gifs and static images.

The player will be able to walk around, meet various entities and explore the world (which will probably depict the inside of a fictional little boy's notebook, in which he drew stuff).

One main thing i want to explore is nonverbal communication. I'm planning an AI-driven character that the player will be able to encounter, and sort of.. communicate with. But there will be no words at all. Instead, they will use facial expressions, and gestures. Maybe some other ingame medium, like being able to manipulate some aspects of the environment to be more appleasing and/or to show something to the other.

The AI will notice things, remember things, etc., and it will have "feelings", it'll have a mood that changes if you bump into it, or if you smile at it..
I'd like the player to be able to bond with the AI character to some degree.

I love puzzles, too, and i'm contemplating adding some environment puzzles as well. It would be interesting to teach an AI to help you solve a puzzle. But I'd like this to be mainly an emotional experience, not a mindgame. In this sense, i guess it would be sort of a "notgame". But not necessarily.

I'm here to ask for:
  • opinions of any kind
  • ideas of any kind
  • ideas about how to interact with a character in a top-down view (table-view? how do you call this)...
  • ideas to make this into an interesting and really interactive experience
  • anyone who is willing to draw simple stuff for me, portrayed from above. Characters, small animals, insects, trees, weird things, nice things, anything a little boy would draw in a notebook, anything a little boy would never draw in a notebook, just easy little things Smile Pen/pencil and paper (even checkered paper is good).
Michael
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Non-verbal communication is interesting.
But how will you show facial expression in a top down view? Smile

You can do a lot with body language too. Or symbolic behaviour. Or even graphical symbols. Have a look at Animal Crossing for inspiration!
atomtengeralattjaro
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
well it's not entirely top-down.. the perspective is sorta distorted in a way that faces look upwards, but when moving, they turn their eyeballs in the direction.. a little like oldschool Dyna. I know it sounds like it'll look dumb, but when drawn by hand, i hope it'll have a kind of charm to it.

yes, i've considered graphical symbols, too. What do you mean by symbolic behavior?
thanks, i'll look into Animal Crossing.